Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Do you trust the AAP?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 31 Replies

I was reading a parenting magazine recently and there were 2 different articles discussing the American Academy of Pediatrics. Both of the articles were basically showing how the AAP changes their opinion on things quite frequently.

For example, the one article was talking about how in the past, swaddling newborns was something that the AAP didn't have any problems with. Now all of a sudden they are saying that swaddling can be linked to serious injury so it's best not to do it. The second article talked about how the AAP is now saying that skim milk/low fat milk consumption is leading to obesity in children. Apparently kids who are drinking whole milk are actually thinner. So they are thinking of changing the guidelines to suggest that all kids, no matter what age, stick to whole milk instead of drinking low fat versions.

I personally don't put too much thought into what the AAP says. I do my own research on subjects and discuss any questions that I have with my pediatrician. But I will openly admit that I tend to go with my gut instinct in most cases. But I do know people who follow every guideline that they put out.

Do you trust the American Academy of Pediatrics and their findings? Or do tend to not pay too much attention to what they say.

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I do on car seat safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Not really. Too wishy washy, and often not really evidence based.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'll take AAP recommendations into account when trying to come up with an informed parenting decision, but I do go with parenting instinct also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
They recommend based on studies. The more studies are done, the more they learn, and the better recommendations they can give; so of course they change. It is one of many sources I use to research things but my instinct and experiences are a big deciding factor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Trust them? I trust evidenced based procedures/protocols.  Occasionally those happen to align with the AAP recommendations.

MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I take what they say into account (sometimes with a grain of salt) but mostly go with my mommy instinct.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't say I distrust them, but if I'm looking for information on something I need to make a decision about, I don't go there for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM

i dont specifically look up what they say on things. i do other research and decide what I think is best for our family. if they support it, great. if not, whatever. we already drink whole milk bc its healthier and i didnt know their stance on it. now i do.

jessicaaris
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don't really put a lot of stock in what any big organization like that says. I trust my instincts and my doctor.

lauratupper
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Quoting MinglingMom:

I take what they say into account (sometimes with a grain of salt) but mostly go with my mommy instinct.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)