Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: My 10 month old has not been eating very well...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 10 month old has not been eating very well when it comes to solids. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. At first I blamed teething as the issue- pediatrician said she is going to cut the top 4 teeth any day now. However, I think this is going on for a while now.  She is still nursing well but should i be trying table foods instead? i tried to give her bites of a banana and she gagged so much im scAred to try anything else! any advice?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

At her age she doesn't need solids, give it some time before giving them again.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Don't worry about the solids. Your milk is all she needs, she'll eat solids when she's ready.
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
My almost 10 month old has never really been interested in solids- she really only loves avocados and I just offer her bits of what we eat- its fine though cuz babies only need ff/bf as their primary source of nutrition up to a year I believe. The first year is really only for practice
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
My youngest wouldn't eat solids until 13 months. He nursed a lot though so I didn't worry about it, in fact he still nurses more then he eats at 21 months but he's getting better. He's always been a snacker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM
My 10 month old doesnt eat solids.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Nursing is all she needs.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

gagging is totally normal and happens more when they are learning...just stick with it...we went straight to table foods at 6 months.  with teeth it can hurt for a while, have you tried medicine to see if it helps with the pain and allowing her to eat more.

AviannasMama
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM
This! Gagging is good! Its very different then choking. Babies have a very high gag reflex so they don't choke since the way they explore is by putting things in their mouths. That's why this is a perfect time to teach baby to eat solids bc their gag reflex is so high it cuts down on choking. You need to know the difference. And never put your fingers down their throat, hit them on the back. Look up Baby Led Weaning. Even if you don't want to practice blw, they have a ton of good tips for introducing solids.

Quoting emkirkley:gagging is totally normal and happens more when they are learning...just stick with it...we went straight to table foods at 6 months.  with teeth it can hurt for a while, have you tried medicine to see if it helps with the pain and allowing her to eat more.
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM
My 10 month old wasn't interested in food at that time. Just give her a few weeks and try some new fooda then. She doesnt nees solids at this stage yet.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

At 10 months it's not a big deal.  Solids are just for fun at this age.  Just keep offering a few times a day, when he's ready for more he'll start eating more.  As long as he's nursing fine, there is nothing to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)