Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Flying Help!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 17 Replies
My 10 month old and I will be flying next month and I put him down as a lap child. My question is should I bother to bring the car seat on board or should I just leave it home (friends of ours have a car seat that my son can use at our destination). I have the hope that there will be an empty seat and I can put him there but I just dont know if its worth it. We are flying with American Airlines. Our first flight is 1.5 hours the next is 3. Will the airline store my carseat if we cant use it? Can I bring both an umbrella stroller & a car seat? Is it better to just carry him? Please help.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I have the same age dd- well she ll be 10 mos tomorrow. We just got back from vacation and we flew American Airlines too. All I did was use her as a lap child and rented a car seat at the rent a car place- way easier IMO
littleapple65
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Do you know if they let you use baby carriers on board? We have 2 infantinos and I'd love to be able to strap him to me & make holding him a little easier.
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Oh ya I'm sure. I brought my ergobaby carrier on w me incase I needed to walk her up and down the aisle., by ended up not needing it. So I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem

Quoting littleapple65:

Do you know if they let you use baby carriers on board? We have 2 infantinos and I'd love to be able to strap him to me & make holding him a little easier.

mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.treadingragingwaters.com/2012/08/lap-rockets.html

You really shouldn't have a lap baby but your car seat could possibly be damaged if you take it and gate check it.  I really wouldn't bother taking this seat and hold tight and pray (or buy a seat now so you know you can use your car seat).  You 100% should NOT rent a car seat (I know this isn't an issue for you because your friend has one).  Rental company's have been known to have backless boosters given for infants. . . .

Many airlines state they do not allow baby to be worn during take off, landing, and turbulance (the most dangerous parts of flying)

littleapple65
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Thank you both, my real idea is if the airplane goes down there's no saving either of us so ill be praying either way. We've decided on not bringing the car seat and just hoping & praying we make it there & home safe and sound.
mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

yep. . that's what most people say.  Most injuries/deaths occur during runway accidents (which can be 100% survivable) or major turbulance.  Children under 2 are the only thing not required to be stowed/secured properly during a flight.  And there actually are cases where toddlers in car seats are the ONLY person to survive a plane crash (I can't find the report at the moment)

Quoting littleapple65:

Thank you both, my real idea is if the airplane goes down there's no saving either of us so ill be praying either way. We've decided on not bringing the car seat and just hoping & praying we make it there & home safe and sound.

noonelikeme564
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM

When we used to fly before baby I think everyone did the strap carrier to baby. I don't think I've ever seen a carseat onborad with a baby. When we take our next vacation we will have lil man in a front carrier in which we can take off and on just in case he can't be strapped to me.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM

A checked car seat is considered a crashed car seat so unless you are going to use it with him in a seat on the plane leave it at home because there is no way to guarantee it's safety when you arrive.

If your friends are trustworthy and you know the car seat there has been taken care of and not been in an accident or washed improperly I would use that if you're unsure I would spend $40 and buy a Cosco Scenera to use while down there and leave it for your friends.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM

This is actually quite untrue. If you hit a pocket and experience some major turbulance baby will fly up and could be seriously injured.

I rode with my son on my lap before I knew this. The last time we flew they were both in car seats.

Quoting littleapple65:

amzbrznjz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM

to ease your mind, after reading these posts, I have flown many times with all 3 of my children with them as lap babies, since all 3 were infants,,,,they are now 13, 10 and 5 years old....YES a lap child is a danger during turbulences (?) and airlines recommend against having them, but I just held them tightly and honestly they slept most of the way. As for a car seat, I am picky, I have checked them, and they came back fine, given we took our cheaper one, I NEVER rented one...if I did not have one waiting for  me, I checked mine...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)