Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Car Seat So Hot?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 31 Replies
Hi! I was wondering how other mommas keep their babies cool in the carseat? We live in Vegas and its excruciatingly hot (117 all weekend!). We cool down the car prior to use and blast the AC as hot as it will go, but I cannot leave ds (6 weeks) in the carseat even through a simple
meal out or for a quick trip through the grocery - his back will get so hot and sweaty and he screams! Did I buy a bum carseat, or is this common? We have a graco system...wondering if some seats are more breathable than others? I'd invest in a new one if I thought it would help the poor little guy!
Thanks!
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Most are going to be that way in the heat, it's just because no air can get to their backs.  while in the car you can point the vents up to the ceiling so they rebound onto him, get static cling tint to keep the sun off of him directly, if he's big enough to not need any infant padding that came in the seat you can remove it and it might help to not have additional layers.  thin cotton clothing or moisture wicking clothing (iplay makes some) tend to help.  unfortunately it's the nature of the beast...we are in North Louisiana where temps have been right at 100 (feels more like 112 here though because of the humidity) so I feel your pain.  I had a gypsy mama bali breeze wrap that I used to carry mine in at that age because it was cooler than leaving them in the car seat.  you can also buy a froggtogg or similar towel that self-cools through evaporation and lay it over him to help keep him cool, if you leave the seat in the car any place a white/light colored towel over it, if you don't have a reflective shade for the front windshield for when you are out and about--they really do help--I'd get one.

Hopeful_Gam
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM

My sons is the same! I hated it! Even with the ac on after being in the car seat more than 30 minutes his back would be soaked. I had to get dh or someone to shop with me or keep him and let me go until he could sit up in a shopping cart\high chair. 

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Why are you leaving him in there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this
I know its so much easier to use the car seat as a carrier, but it is way too hot. Try baby wearing instead to keep your hands free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Take him out and wear him in a sling while shopping, or going somewhere. Walmart and Target sell infantino Mei Tai carriers for $32.88, and they are very comfy and safe for baby's hips/legs/back.
noonelikeme564
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

My baby sweats in his car seat too! We bought him a portable baby mini fan that clips right on his car seat! It helps when he is in the car. We take him out when we go shopping since he is able to sit up in cart now!

expecting boyBaby Reese due OCT 15th!!!!!

caseyloo
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I'm in Vegas too and it's crazy how hot our car seats get.  It's so common here for the infant carriers to stay hot even when you go in a store or restaurant..  How old is he?  I've found it's better once they are in a convertable car seat.  We just try to stay in during the heat of the day during summer if possible.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM
It's common
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

You aren't supposed to leave a baby in a carseat anyway.  I would find a wrap or a sling and plan on wearing him at a restaurant or while shopping.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Not much you can do to cool his back, since you can't put anything between him and the harness/back of the seat. But what I do with my kids is keep a bunch of receiving blankets in the freezer. (We have a chest freezer, plenty of room, LOL.) After they're strapped in their seats, I give them the blanket to drape over themselves. It's nice and cool, and lightweight so it doesn't make the problem worse.

Unfortuantely, in 117* heat there's not much you can do. :(

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 14 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN