Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weird Allergic Reactions?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

My dd has had something going on with her like almost everyday for the past few days or so. Last week my dh had her out playing in the yard while I was at work and the next day I notice mosquito bites. No biggie. One was right on her panty line and I was concerned that it would get bigger and it got gigantic by the time I got home. Here's a pic of that...the white stuff is from medical tape I used keep a gauze on with anti itch cream on it. It had formed tiny little pus filled blisters as well. It was never hot to the touch or hard really. When I pressed on it, it would turn white. Over a few days, I kept it clean and used the gauze and now the swelling has subsided and it's a bit blueish/greyish in color but there is no blisters or anything left.

Today she woke up with a swollen eye. The mark on her nose showed up yesterday morning. She can't seem to tell us where it came from so I'm thinking she hit herself with a toy in her sleep. Anyways, I'm thinking the eye issue is from something outside yesterday because she was out there playing after I mowed the grass.

Then later today she ends up with a red ear and it had become swollen as well. Hot to the touch.

She has other little random bites and one on her back was kind of different than the others. It was like a darkish red and had a rather scab on it, so I left it and applied creme. The next day I had removed the scab and pus came out. I have no idea what's going on here but I went and got her some children's Clarytin. She'll be going to the doc Today as well, providing my husband gets his emergency tooth extraction finished in time.

Birthday

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Poor thing! It's not uncommon for children to have bad reactions to mosquito bites since they are still building their immune systems.

jessicaaris
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Poor girl! I have heard of people having nasty reactions to bug bites but never experienced it myself. Hopefully the doc will have something helpful to say about the whole thing.

crystalrbp
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Could be chiggers from after mowing. Did you give her a bath after she was done playing? If my kids play in the yard after I mow I always give them a bath right away. If that one on her panty line don't go away soon I would take her in to have it looked at. Other wise I would just keep doing what your doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harajukumoma
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Oh wow! What a strange reaction! Poor girl I hope it clears up fast for her! Does it bother her?
sahmw2010
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I woulf have taken her to doctor or er as soon as i noticed the ither swellings. Poor thing
Mandamom1
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Ant bites and mosquito bites can cause reactions I had an issue when I was little
Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Can you give her some Benedryl? Mabey just call your pedi if you can't get in right away & ask what you should do.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Aww, poor girl : (

My DD had a bad reaction to a bug bite but NOTHING like this! I get bad reactions too : (

robibuni
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Poor baby :(

It COULD be mosquitos. My youngest swells up when she gets bit, but not quite that badly. I hope you get answers at the doctor!
shjchica
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Check the bite for puncture marks. I personally get a reaction from spider bites that are identical to that. You might need a magnifying glass of sorts to actually see the punctures because of how swollen she is. My spider bites start small like a 'skeeter bite and just swell and get highly inflamed. I found out I was allergic to spider bites my junior year of high school, was taking my senior portraits and for one of them they had me sitting in a tree. A little while later right between my boobs where the cups of the bra would meet started getting itchy, and there was a bite, and it grew and grew and grew until I finally gave and went to the doctor. He was the one that seen the double puncture marks from the spider. I only need benadryl and hydrocortisone for them so don't freak out at my whole statement.

Also if she's itch and/or it's pussing make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the area and let it sit and dry. It will help the itching and helps extract the venom that was injected by whatever bit her and dry it out. We swear by it here for bug bites and poision ivy/oak/sumac.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)