Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When weaning from breast at one year

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

When weaning from the breast to whole milk after the age of one should I cut the cup of milk in half with breast milk or can I just go straight to whole milk- slowly introducing one feeding per day over a few weeks??

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well...not really.  Milk is a drink, just like water.  It's not a nutrient rich food that you give all day everyday, like BM is. You don't replace nursing sessions with cups of milk.  You don't need to put any BM in the milk. In fact, I wouldn't.  But you could put just the BM in a cup for him if you have a frozen stash.  Weaning itself needs to be gradual.  Drop one feeding a week until done.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Too much cow's milk isn't good for babies, I wouldn't give the same amount of cows milk as breastmilk. They can get the calcium and vitamin D elsewhere.
I just continued nursing and started giving more food and water when they turn one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Parent led weaning means dropping one session per week. Offer whatever food or milk you want otherwise.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

This.

Although, my kids never get milk after they wean from the breast - and two years is our minimum breastfeeding goal.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Parent led weaning means dropping one session per week. Offer whatever food or milk you want otherwise.

jlm425
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

DS is 14 months and this is what we're doing too.... 

Quoting polkaspots:

Too much cow's milk isn't good for babies, I wouldn't give the same amount of cows milk as breastmilk. They can get the calcium and vitamin D elsewhere.
I just continued nursing and started giving more food and water when they turn one.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

YOu can continue to nurse as long you both mutually desire.  If you want to wean...drop one feeding per week until all feedings are dropped.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

This

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)