Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Crying it out

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM
  • 82 Replies
My DS, now 5 months old, wakes at least 3 times in the night sometimes staying awake for 2 hours. It has become exhausting, especially since he doesn't take a long nap during the day. We are trying cry it out with him now in the middle of the night. We have gone in to pat his back (every 5 mins and gradually increasing intervals) and reassure him that its okay, but never pick him up. How long do you think is too long to let him cry? And if he falls asleep and wakes back up within the hour what do you do?
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue_Spiral
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I never left my son alone to let him cry. It is cruel, end of story.

However, I understand the stress it can bring, so I really have no advice.

I wouldn't go longer than 5-10 minutes at a time, if I were going to do that....

jlm425
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM
2 moms liked this
We did the gradual CIO...started with 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes. I never had to go longer than that. If they wake up again after that there's a different reason for it usually...so maybe they aren't feeling well, or maybe they miss you if you used to co-sleep or nurse to sleep so when they stir and aren't in that same position it is upsetting. Hard knowing, I dont know your situation. CIO is not cruel. You're not neglecting and abandoning your child. My child is a happy healthy loving little boy. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting jlm425:

We did the gradual CIO...started with 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes. I never had to go longer than that. If they wake up again after that there's a different reason for it usually...so maybe they aren't feeling well, or maybe they miss you if you used to co-sleep or nurse to sleep so when they stir and aren't in that same position it is upsetting. Hard knowing, I dont know your situation. CIO is not cruel. You're not neglecting and abandoning your child. My child is a happy healthy loving little boy. :-)

It is cruel. Just so you know.

And nursing to sleep is healthy and normal. 

Sorry to be a bitch, but yeah.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Even CIO "experts" don't recommend doing it until atleast 6 months old....
With that said, CIO was and never will be allowed in our family. Babies wake as a natural defense against SIDS, and because they're probably hungry, or teething, or not feeling well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:29 AM
2 moms liked this
This.

5 months is too young for "sleep training."

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

With that said, CIO was and never will be allowed in our family. Babies wake as a natural defense against SIDS, and because they're probably hungry, or teething, or not feeling well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
november117
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Agree. My son is almost 7 months and we still pat hit butt or rock him back to sleep if need be. Last night was rougb for me. He was up every 15-45 minutes from 1:30 a.m. on and I was in tears from exhaustion...but, I still would never do cio.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

brittany208
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

a lot of the ladies in here dont let their children cry AT ALL. they sleep with them at night and carry them in carriers all day...

i personally never had to let my  babies cry. i nursed them until they were ALMOST asleep, then put them down when they were very tired but still awake. if they woke up, i would pick them up and soothe them back to almost asleep and put them back down again. i did this as infants, but i imagine it would work for an older baby too.

we also use pacis to go to sleep. and i dont rush in at the first whimper.

Im not an attachment type parent at all, but 2 hours is waaaaay too long, IMO. i would try picking him up and soothing him back to almost asleep. it seems like the pats are just a tease for him.

brittany208
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

by the way, everyone is saying not to start sleep training til baby is older.... that just gives longer for baby to develop bad habits. i wouldnt call what i do "sleep training", but i definitely start good habits from birth. 5mo is old enough that he can sleep better than he does.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

scoffin02
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
He usually nurses to sleep initially and I can lay him down without waking. In the night when he wakes I am unable to sooth him by rocking or patting him. He only wants to nurse, and usually when I put him back down he fusses or spits up (bc he wasn't actually hungry). I don't feel as though I'm neglecting him at all. I feel like he needs to just learn how to sooth himself to sleep.

Quoting jlm425:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)