Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pitching a fit :(

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 7 Replies

How do you handle your LO pitching a fit?

My son will be 1yr next week (I can't believe it).  He has such a temper and it makes me sad.  Our daughter never did this.  He will push, hit, bite, throw, etc.....not to mention throwing himself in the floor kicking and screaming!  I know fit pitching is normal behavior, but I don't know if I will survive the toddler years if THIS is the way he's going to act.  We are peaceful people at home (no yelling, calm, etc).  Is this just normal for a boy?  How can I redirect him?  Or should I just ignore and walk away (which is what I've been doing)?

THANKS!

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

my 10month old bounces like a perched whale when he throws a fit. I ignore him, because I know exactly why he is doing it. no clue how to help. good luck

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Our house rule is that you can scream and cry all you want- in your room. ;) I would pick him up and calmly tell him that he is welcome to scream in his room, and when he's ready to be done you'll be happy to have him join the family again.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

that's the rule for my older kids, but would that really work for a 1yr old?

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Our house rule is that you can scream and cry all you want- in your room. ;) I would pick him up and calmly tell him that he is welcome to scream in his room, and when he's ready to be done you'll be happy to have him join the family again.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I guess I really didn't start that until closer to two :/ But I don't think it would hurt to try. I lucked out in the tantrum department- they didn't really start that until 18 months or so.

Quoting sahmw2010:

that's the rule for my older kids, but would that really work for a 1yr old?

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM
This is what I do for our 4.5yr old. But Scooter won't stay in his room......He shoots all over screaming..... *sigh*

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
The other thing I've done has been to sit them in my lap and read a book or sung a song until they calmed down. The combination if a snuggle and a distraction works well :)

Quoting rHOPEb:

This is what I do for our 4.5yr old. But Scooter won't stay in his room......He shoots all over screaming..... *sigh*

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I know a few mom's think I'm crazy but I deflect. I'll say "OMG! Let's go play with blocks" In this super happy voice and run over and start playing with blocks. Normally, she would look over and be like "What is mommy doing?" and join! If we are at the park or something I will point out a plane in the sky or a bird flying overheard and ask her if she likes it! Ask her if she see's any other birds or planes. I've gotten some weird looks doing this. But hey, it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN