Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Did your baby do this?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
My ds is going to be 6 months on July 17. He's very active and working on crawling, and will probably have it figured out soon. He can army crawl efficiently, just working on doing it on hands and knees. Thing is, he doesn't sit up on his own yet. He can hold himself up, but can't balance for more than a few seconds. Is it normal for a baby to crawl before sitting up? He's strong and alert so I'm not worried. I just always thought sitting up came first. I'm a new mom, so definitely not an expert on this stuff.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It did not happen with my first two.  I have a small feeling that my third child, my 4 month old, might be that way.  If I sit her down, she just puts herself on her belly and does the swimming motions.  She is too busy to be sitting still.

dreamarrow
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
One of my sons started crawling and then taught himself to sit up. Now my other son is doing the same thing lol.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I have 4 kid's and they all sat first but I wouldn't worry.

myempyreofdirt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I'm not really worried, it's just weird lol. He doesn't seem very motivated to sit up. He wants to move! I'm assuming learning to crawl will develop his muscles and balance for sitting up, yes?

Quoting la_bella_vita:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I agree, it's a little unusual but all kid's do things at their own pace. Yes, I agree, that it will help develop his muscles. My friend's baby didn't start sitting up until almost 8 months and he started walking by 9 months! You just never know what a baby is going to do next! LOL

Quoting myempyreofdirt:

I'm not really worried, it's just weird lol. He doesn't seem very motivated to sit up. He wants to move! I'm assuming learning to crawl will develop his muscles and balance for sitting up, yes?

Quoting la_bella_vita:

MaliyahsMommy23
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM
My daughter is 7 mo tomorrow & has prob been sitting for 2 months, but she doesn't crawl or really even get up on her knees yet. She tries to stand in her play pen, tho. I think all babies are completely different. Lol
To_the_moon
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My dd crawls backwards and rolls to get where she wants to go and just like your son she can hold herself up for a few seconds but she still doesn't do the hands and knees crawling yet.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
myempyreofdirt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
It's very interesting to watch lol. He's been trying to get mobile almost since birth, but he didn't start reaching for things or swatting at objects til about 4 months. It can be so confusing trying to make sure everything is ok with him.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I agree, it's a little unusual but all kid's do things at their own pace. Yes, I agree, that it will help develop his muscles. My friend's baby didn't start sitting up until almost 8 months and he started walking by 9 months! You just never know what a baby is going to do next! LOL

Quoting myempyreofdirt:

Quoting la_bella_vita:

myempyreofdirt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like yours might skip crawling and work on walking! I've heard a lot of babies do that. Or they scoot and roll instead of crawling lol.

Quoting MaliyahsMommy23:

My daughter is 7 mo tomorrow & has prob been sitting for 2 months, but she doesn't crawl or really even get up on her knees yet. She tries to stand in her play pen, tho. I think all babies are completely different. Lol

myempyreofdirt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Ds does that backwards crawl thing and then yells because he didn't go where he wanted to lol! I hate to laugh at him but it's just too cute.

Quoting To_the_moon:

My dd crawls backwards and rolls to get where she wants to go and just like your son she can hold herself up for a few seconds but she still doesn't do the hands and knees crawling yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)