Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Block out the sunlight for a newborn?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 15 Replies

Just theorycrafting here-

Is it a good idea for the first few weeks of life to put curtains over the window to block most sunlight from getting into the room?

Im not sure if the sunlight will prevent her from getting the constant rotation of eating/sleeping that she will need?

OR!

If a lack of sunlight would prevent her from naturally forming her internal clock on night time is for sleep and daytime is for play?

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I would think it might cause day and night mix up. but I don't know for sure.
hnischke
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
From what I was told I was to keep things "normal". So for us that meant keeping DS in daylight during the day and darkness after bedtime. We were also told to keep noises normal too. So we vacuumed when we needed to even if he was asleep.
Radellia
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
We have blackout curtains in our bedroom and my son's room (though he's still in our room). It is helpful when we want to go to bed, but it's still early enough to be light outside (or the flip side when we want to try to sleep in).

I don't think the sunlight should be blocked out all the time, but it's useful to have it 'extra' dark for nighttime hours...
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I wouldn't do it.  Newborns will sleep regardless.  But you DO want her to know when it's daytime and when it's nighttime.

tyrelsmom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Here in the summer it's light until about 11:00, and then starts getting light again around 3, lol, so good curtains are wonderful for nighttime. But sunshine during the day is important.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Whoa!  Where are you? :)

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Here in the summer it's light until about 11:00, and then starts getting light again around 3, lol, so good curtains are wonderful for nighttime. But sunshine during the day is important.

CafeMom Tickers

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I work nights so I needed her to sleep so I could sleep and put room darkening curtains in her room, etc.  It did not affect her sleep pattern other than allowing her to sleep more soundly because we didnt spend time in her room other than to rest.

tyrelsmom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Northern Alberta. It's dark for maybe a few hours here the end of June. August is a little better, lol. We pay for it in December, though, sending the kids off to school in the dark and them getting home after sundown....

Quoting jackiewal10:

Whoa!  Where are you? :)

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Well they're not born knowing the difference between day and night time, so I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea. Plus sunlight gives them some much needed vitamin D and that helps avoid jaundice.

mommyziegler
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I have never blocked light from my kids!! It's good for them to be in the sunlight
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)