Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Overweight? *edit

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM
  • 43 Replies

Nikolai at 3 months and 19 pounds(:HAPPY 4TH !

My baby is 2 months and he is in the 99% for weight. A whopping 15 pounds. He isn't on formula though strictly breastfed. They said I'm you can't overfeed a breastfed baby but... Is this normal? He won't take the bottle whatsoever I tried and failed on multiple occasions.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Soldier
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My youngest son(8mths today) is like that...he was gained 5lbs during his first month, was 15 by 2 mths, almost 18 by 4 mths and the last time he was weighed was his 6mth appt in the middle of may and he was right at 20 lbs. He is a chunk, with fat rolls galore. Everybody calls him juicy lol. He has never had anything but breastmilk...he won't even touch solids yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
da808gypsy
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Foes he take vitamin drops? His doctor recommended them because he said breastfed babies don't have as much vitamin D a formula fed ones

Quoting Luv.My.Soldier:

My youngest son(8mths today) is like that...he was gained 5lbs during his first month, was 15 by 2 mths, almost 18 by 4 mths and the last time he was weighed was his 6mth appt in the middle of may and he was right at 20 lbs. He is a chunk, with fat rolls galore. Everybody calls him juicy lol. He has never had anything but breastmilk...he won't even touch solids yet.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:15 AM
3 moms liked this
100% normal! His gain will slow and he'll start to even out when he starts getting mobile. You can't overfeed a baby at the breast. No need for bottles unless you don't be around to nurse him, don't try to fix what isn't broken. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:16 AM
I've always had tiny newbies, but you are right about not being able to overfed a bf baby. Size isn't all that important anyway. I would guess he's about to hit a growth spurt spurt soon. Where he has a few growth spurts in a short period of time. He's at the right age for it. He's adorable btw, don't worry unless his weight stays high compared to his height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:18 AM
And vitamin d doesn't become an issue until after six months and that's only if baby can't get the vitamin d naturally, from foods and the sun. I think the rule is 15-20 minutes a day in the sun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this
A couple minutes outside in the sun everyday will get him the vitamin d he needs. :)

Quoting da808gypsy:

Foes he take vitamin drops? His doctor recommended them because he said breastfed babies don't have as much vitamin D a formula fed ones

Quoting Luv.My.Soldier:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM

My youngest is 3.5 months and 19.4lbs! He's a linebacker! Lol! But no you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. :-) When he starts walking he'll thin down pretty quick! :-)

Luv.My.Soldier
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
2 moms liked this
No, he has never had vitamins of any kind :) We just make sure to spend adequate time outdoors to get enough vit d

Quoting da808gypsy:

Quoting Luv.My.Soldier:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
da808gypsy
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I was wondering. We do live in Hawaii so he gets sunlight when I actually get out of the house. He hates it, lol but he gets his vitamin D.

Quoting polkaspots:

And vitamin d doesn't become an issue until after six months and that's only if baby can't get the vitamin d naturally, from foods and the sun. I think the rule is 15-20 minutes a day in the sun.
da808gypsy
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I try to give him sunlight but I swear he HATES the sun. It's funny cuz so does his dad. They're both vampires! XD

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

A couple minutes outside in the sun everyday will get him the vitamin d he needs. :)

Quoting da808gypsy:

Quoting Luv.My.Soldier:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)