Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Crib Bumper Issue

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is nearly a year old. We haven't had a crib bumper because of the way the crib is set up. The changing table is attached so there's no way for a bumper to set up in there. We found it more of a hazard to have one, than to not have one.

However, in the middle of the night, she got her leg caught in one of the slats. It was jammed in there pretty good, too. I thought about trying to find a crib that I can have a bumper with, but then my thought was that she might get her leg caught a little higher.

Has this happened to anyone? What was your solution? Would the investment of a new crib be worth it?
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
merryvoice
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thank you very much. I will get some tomorrow, along with that bumper.

Quoting geekymom08:

I would (and I know this might mess it up a little) create new Velcro points and Velcro the extra on both sides back or you could (dare I say it) cut it to the length it needs to be so that at the end you can wrap it around the post and Velcro it to itself (top and bottom) to hold it in place

Quoting merryvoice:

That's exactly what we had tried, and because of the changing table, the mesh won't weave in and out.

Quoting geekymom08:

Mobile Photo

Like this...

merryvoice
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM

That looks great! Thanks for sharing that with me. If the velcro doesn't work, I may try that. However, I do hope the velcro works since I can't sew!

Quoting sahmw2010:

Mobile Photo

Fits snuggly all around

<3Mary Catherine<3

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Since the bed is against the wall, you could just switch her to a regular bed with a rail. At a year old I'm sure she already knows how to climb out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I'll never have bumpers ever again. My son got stuck under them at 5 months old.he was screaming so I went to check on him. They came out that instant. Dd is 18 months and gets her legs or knees stick in the crib slats occasionally but it's usually not a big deal.I just get her leg out and she goes back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM
We have this and our is in two pieces and it just velcrows around the bars. One of the pieces is short for just the front and the other piece covers the rest. That might work for you to have the smaller one.

Quoting geekymom08:

Mobile Photo

Like this...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I actually read that a lot of babies get stuck worse in a bumper vs.the crib slats, so we decided against it.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

I'll never have bumpers ever again. My son got stuck under them at 5 months old.he was screaming so I went to check on him. They came out that instant. Dd is 18 months and gets her legs or knees stick in the crib slats occasionally but it's usually not a big deal.I just get her leg out and she goes back to sleep.
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Its scary to think about it but realistically I think about it this way: id rather have my kid have a broken leg vs a dead baby that died from suffocating under a bunper.....like I said not a pleasant way to think about it but its the truth of the matter.

Quoting merryvoice:

I actually read that a lot of babies get stuck worse in a bumper vs.the crib slats, so we decided against it.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole_2007
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My son just turned a year old and last night was the first night he got his leg stuck.  Scared him and scared me.  Thankfully my husband got it out.  I don't ever remember my other kids getting their legs cought

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I used a bumper because of that; my son would stretch his leg out and over the top of the bumper and get caught but then my grandmother replaced the interior stuffing with stiffer batting and the problem was solved. I dont believe in the toted dangers of crib bumpers because my babies never slept in a crib until they could roll anyway, thus eliminating the danger of getting stuck against the 'fluff'. It made the whole 'danger' a moot point. Plus, I tuck the bottom edge of the bumper between the mattress and rails so theres no gap. To each their own.

merryvoice
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Yeah, not fun to think about, but you do have to think about it. And I agree: broken limbs are much better than having no baby at all.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Its scary to think about it but realistically I think about it this way: id rather have my kid have a broken leg vs a dead baby that died from suffocating under a bunper.....like I said not a pleasant way to think about it but its the truth of the matter.

Quoting merryvoice:

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

<3Mary Catherine<3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)