Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she's only 3 weeks

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 17 Replies
So my daughter will be three weeks on thursday and is drinking between 7 to 9 oz of formula...is this normal? And since from what I hear I was an early eater I'm afraid she will be too so when do I start her on the cereal and oatmeal? Please help me.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Her stomach is the size of her fist. And babies are only early eaters when the parents feed them early. ;)

I skip oatmeal and rice cereal all together. And the AAp suggest waiting until 4-6 months for formula fed babies to have something in addition to formula (not in place of formula)
rwebb11
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I think that is too much! Babies cry for food whenever the are gassy or have any kind of tummy ache. My son is almost 11 months old and has never ate more than 6 oz at a feeding. Try gas drops, rubbing clockwise circles on her tummy, and soothing her in other ways. My son is a big boy, but never ate that much. He also didn't start solids until close to 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynew89
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Yeah. My dad mixed my formula with my great grandmothers cornbread til it was really mushy and that was about the same age she is. But I figured I would get some advice since they can't see her til August for her check up.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

WHOA!!!  That is way overfeeding.  She should only be eating 2-4 oz at a time.  Smaller (MUCH smaller) servings more frequently.  Like, every 3 hours.  Or every 2 hours if you only feed 2 oz bottles.  Her stomach is going to be overstretched and that will create a vicious cycle. 

Size of a baby doesn't determine when you start solids.  Solids shouldn't be started until at least 6 months.  No cereal. It's crap in a box and there are studies now that show than infants can't digest grains until about a year old.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
All of that. I went through the same problems with my first, and had to deal with almost a month of having a miserable baby when I found out how much I was over feeding her. I didn't find out until five months. You need to make the bottle smaller and more frequent.
Giving mush (like cereals and purees) early just makes it harder for them to learn to feed themselves.
If you change the bottles now, your daughter will be cranky for a few days but then her stomach will adjust to feeding the way she's supposed to be fed. It will also give you time to learn more appropriate ways of soothing her in between bottles. If it doesn't stop soon, her bottles will eventually not be able to fill her up and she'll end up drinking two bottles at a time. That's how I knew something was wrong and I went to a nutritionalist.

Quoting jackiewal10:

WHOA!!!  That is way overfeeding.  She should only be eating 2-4 oz at a time.  Smaller (MUCH smaller) servings more frequently.  Like, every 3 hours.  Or every 2 hours if you only feed 2 oz bottles.  Her stomach is going to be overstretched and that will create a vicious cycle. 

Size of a baby doesn't determine when you start solids.  Solids shouldn't be started until at least 6 months.  No cereal. It's crap in a box and there are studies now that show than infants can't digest grains until about a year old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Yes, this.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Her stomach is the size of her fist. And babies are only early eaters when the parents feed them early. ;)

I skip oatmeal and rice cereal all together. And the AAp suggest waiting until 4-6 months for formula fed babies to have something in addition to formula (not in place of formula)

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle, and mommy to our Angel baby, Elizabeth Rose. Pregnant with our Rainbow Baby and due 12.12.13!

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM

That's really not healthy for baby's belly. I would not suggest following that. 

Quoting mommynew89:

Yeah. My dad mixed my formula with my great grandmothers cornbread til it was really mushy and that was about the same age she is. But I figured I would get some advice since they can't see her til August for her check up.

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle, and mommy to our Angel baby, Elizabeth Rose. Pregnant with our Rainbow Baby and due 12.12.13!

Lillysmommy0113
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM

this!!

my mouth dropped when i read the op. why the heck would you feed a little baby 7-9oz she only needs 2-4oz and NO!! solids till 6! months!

Quoting polkaspots:

All of that. I went through the same problems with my first, and had to deal with almost a month of having a miserable baby when I found out how much I was over feeding her. I didn't find out until five months. You need to make the bottle smaller and more frequent.
Giving mush (like cereals and purees) early just makes it harder for them to learn to feed themselves.
If you change the bottles now, your daughter will be cranky for a few days but then her stomach will adjust to feeding the way she's supposed to be fed. It will also give you time to learn more appropriate ways of soothing her in between bottles. If it doesn't stop soon, her bottles will eventually not be able to fill her up and she'll end up drinking two bottles at a time. That's how I knew something was wrong and I went to a nutritionalist.

Quoting jackiewal10:

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Nooo solids!! How often does she eat? 7-9 ozs is way too much. 
polkaspots
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM
I understand how she got like that. Making the bottles bigger is a slippery slope. It starts out with half an ounce and then an ounce, then two... Until you realize the bottle just won't fit anymore and you're obviously doing something wrong. I'm glad she asked now because she'll have a much wise time fixing her mistake than a few months down the road. She can easily start on 2 1/2 ounce bottles every two hours and be able to adjust accordingly if a week from now baby wants more.

Quoting Lillysmommy0113:

this!!

my mouth dropped when i read the op. why the heck would you feed a little baby 7-9oz she only needs 2-4oz and NO!! solids till 6! months!

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)