Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To circumsize or not?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 100 Replies
My newborn has an appointment tomorrow to get curcumsized and I'm starting to have second thoughts... I've done research, I know the pros and cons of both but I don't really know what to believe and what not to believe. I just don't want my little boy to be in pain... But I don't want to regret the decision of not doing it in his later years. Moms of little boys, what's your opinion?
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I say no circumcision. They're aren't supposed to be able to retract until they're much older and able to do it themselves. DH never had issues with his and my son hasn't either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't get involved in circumcision debates, but I think it's wise not to do something permanent if you've got any doubts. You can always do it later, you can't change it once it's done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candie1015
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Well if you are christian or believe in God cercumsize...but other then that it is best to cercumsize anyways...less chance of uti or std because they can clean themselves better. The forskin can start sticking together and he'll have to have it parted which is painful in itself and can happen a lot...so better pain now while he can't remember then pain later no telling how many times....and if you change your mind later and decide you want it done it will only get worse. Better now then later
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM
3 moms liked this
I have two who are and my youngest isn't. For me I regret having my first two circumcised. It wasn't my choice to make and I did no research before. When I found out I was having a third boy I researched like crazy. Every possible reason I circumcised my first two was completely wrong.

The top reasons to are:
*It looks weird if it's not cut.
-Well hopefully he won't be with someone shallow who judges him solely on his penis. Foreskin is normal.

*It's cleaner.
-Not really. The foreskin is attached to the head of the penis. This prevents bacteria and feces from getting into the urethra. The foreskin is also self cleaning so you just wipe it like a finger and let the foreskin do it's job.

*It prevents UTI.
-It increases the risk a measly 1%. If you compare UTI in boys and girls girls get them more but we don't remove labia to prevent them. A UTI requires antibiotics and all is well.

*It prevents STDs.
-Nope. Abstinence does. But being realistic teaching your kid to use a condom will help too.

*Reduces cancer risk.
-Breast cancer is more common then penile cancer but we don't remove breast buds from newborns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:13 AM

my son is intact, has only had one uti in three years and that was due to taking the sippy cups away and him not drinking enough liquid/water...........and its easy to care for. 

rmfanfgljf
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:15 AM

that first reason, I always wondered how many women on here have that conversation on first dates, especially with seeing some of the resposes in these posts in other groups.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I have two who are and my youngest isn't. For me I regret having my first two circumcised. It wasn't my choice to make and I did no research before. When I found out I was having a third boy I researched like crazy. Every possible reason I circumcised my first two was completely wrong.

The top reasons to are:
-Well hopefully he won't be with someone shallow who judges him solely on his penis. Foreskin is normal.

*It's cleaner.
-Not really. The foreskin is attached to the head of the penis. This prevents bacteria and feces from getting into the urethra. The foreskin is also self cleaning so you just wipe it like a finger and let the foreskin do it's job.

*It prevents UTI.
-It increases the risk a measly 1%. If you compare UTI in boys and girls girls get them more but we don't remove labia to prevent them. A UTI requires antibiotics and all is well.

*It prevents STDs.
-Nope. Abstinence does. But being realistic teaching your kid to use a condom will help too.

*Reduces cancer risk.
-Breast cancer is more common then penile cancer but we don't remove breast buds from newborns.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I say separation of penis and religion but reguardless you are misinformed.

The top reasons to are:
*It looks weird if it's not cut. -Well hopefully he won't be with someone shallow who judges him solely on his penis. Foreskin is normal.

*It's cleaner. -Not really. The foreskin is attached to the head of the penis. This prevents bacteria and feces from getting into the urethra. The foreskin is also self cleaning so you just wipe it like a finger and let the foreskin do it's job.

*It prevents UTI. -It increases the risk a measly 1%. If you compare UTI in boys and girls girls get them more but we don't remove labia to prevent them. A UTI requires antibiotics and all is well.

*It prevents STDs. -Nope. Abstinence does. But being realistic teaching your kid to use a condom will help too.

*Reduces cancer risk. -Breast cancer is more common then penile cancer but we don't remove breast buds from newborns.

Quoting Candie1015:

Well if you are christian or believe in God cercumsize...but other then that it is best to cercumsize anyways...less chance of uti or std because they can clean themselves better. The forskin can start sticking together and he'll have to have it parted which is painful in itself and can happen a lot...so better pain now while he can't remember then pain later no telling how many times....and if you change your mind later and decide you want it done it will only get worse. Better now then later

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM
My dh & both my boys are intact I have NEVER had any isuues come up.

If your doubting your choice then I say wait. Onces it done there is no looking back. It can always be done later if wanted/needed by your son.
Candie1015
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I wouldn't do it based off of religion either but it does mention it in the bible. Your doesn't say it? Well maybe we are of different faith. I said it helps prevent uti and std cause little boys don't pull back their forskin and wipe properly. Ask any dr and they will twll you it will help prevent uti and other diseases from bacteria from pee stuck in the for skin the internet isn't always right you know.yes stds are only preventable if your abstinent and condoms help but arent always 100%. I said nothing about cancer but your right on that one. My husband wasn't circumcised and his for skin grew together they had to literally pull it apart so he could pee happened more then once so they had him circumcised. My first bf of 6 years wasn't and kept utis and infections. I think experience out does research done on the intwrnet especially when the internet isn't always right

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

that first reason, I always wondered how many women on here have that conversation on first dates, especially with seeing some of the resposes in these posts in other groups.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

The top reasons to are:

*It's cleaner.

*It prevents UTI.

*It prevents STDs.

*Reduces cancer risk.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I think its a really big decision. You shouldn't go through with it unless you are 100% sure! Sounds like you have some big doubts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)