Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What is the best baby carrier?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 26 Replies
I need to find a good baby carrier that I can put my newborn in so I can get some stuff done around the house! I've tried the moby wrap and that was just too complicated, I could never get it tight enough, I've also tried the infantino mei tai and that would start to sag loose after a while and my baby just looked uncomfortable in it, he got fussy after a while. I heard the baby bjorn was good but I did more research and a lot of users said it caused back problems... I need something that's comfortable for me and my son, and preferably something I can use until he's more independent and will do his own thing while I get some work done. Any suggestions?
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappyMama.x3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I like my maya wrap. I have heard good things about the moby wrap and ergo, but have never used them.
Beauty91805
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I don't know what's the best one but I used the moby once, it was just too hot and annoying, though comfortable. I ended up buying a boba which I loved up until baby boy got too heavy for me lol.
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I love my PLAYTEX Infant hammock, which is basically like a messenger bag baby carrier so it distributed the baby's weight across the shoulders and back so I could carry her around all day and would not be sore. 

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM
I like my stretchy wrap, so I don know what to tell you. The easiest way to make sure it's tight enough is if you tie it on first and then put baby in it. I've only used a wrap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I had a moby I'm the beginning but it didn't ever feel tight enough so I got/made a woven one. It's the same thing just a strip of material but it doesn't stretch dd felt so much more secure in that. I have a boba also, it's like a ergo but you don't need an infant insert. I love that one too.
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I have an ergo- I likes it,but my dd doesn't like to be in any carriers.
anxiousschk
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

*I* like the ergo but she likes the bjorn.  The bjorn hurts my shoulders.  

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

For a newborn, a wrap like a Moby or a Boba IS one of the best options.  If I were you, I would work with it a little more. Watch the YouTube videos on how to wrap it.  Bjiorns are not good for you OR for baby.  They have been dubbed "crotch danglers" for a reason.  Baby doesn't sit in the carrier.  Baby quite literally hangs in the carrier by his/her crotch.  Plus, some carriers like Bjiorns have weight minimums and if he's a newborn, he might not meet the min. weight requirement.

A Mei Tai is also another good one that just takes some practice.  A ring sling is a good carrier, but not necessarily the best for a newborn and (IMO) not a completely hands-free option.

Lullababy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I've had 6 babies and countless carriers. My maya wrap was by far my most favorite for getting stuff done. Baby is snug, can nurse or sleep. The Bjorn is a crotch danglers- very bad for baby's spine. My second favorite is the ergo Nd third the baby hawk Mei tie.
Oh, maya wraps are ring slings so they are adjustable unlike the 7slings. I bought a moby and used it for a week and watched tons of vidos but found it annoying. Once I got baby wrapped up I would need to adjust to nurse her :/
Lullababy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I have to say -my experience using a ring sling w 4 newborns was wonderful. I had tiny babies 6lbs 9pz up to 8lbs 15 oz and the all were in the sling from birth.
Why do you think they aren't good for newborns?

Quoting jackiewal10:

For a newborn, a wrap like a Moby or a Boba IS one of the best options.  If I were you, I would work with it a little more. Watch the YouTube videos on how to wrap it.  Bjiorns are not good for you OR for baby.  They have been dubbed "crotch danglers" for a reason.  Baby doesn't sit in the carrier.  Baby quite literally hangs in the carrier by his/her crotch.  Plus, some carriers like Bjiorns have weight minimums and if he's a newborn, he might not meet the min. weight requirement.

A Mei Tai is also another good one that just takes some practice.  A ring sling is a good carrier, but not necessarily the best for a newborn and (IMO) not a completely hands-free option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)