Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

GERD? :(

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 23 Replies
My dd is 6 weeks old. She has colicky tendencies but does not cry enough to be considered colicky, according to what I've read online. Along with being extremely fussy (which appears to be for no reason), she also coughs and chokes often while eating, sort of gasps -not all the time but frequently, and she used to sleep ALL the time but now seems to nap several times a day for short periods of time. Since she is 6 weeks I thought the fussiness was normal and thought she might just be hungry all the time due to 6 week growth spurt and being sleepy, and I figured her sleeping pattern was just changing cuz she's growing and wants to be more alert. I was concerned about the gasping, though but people said its normal for babies to do that. However, while reading about colic I came across something that said it could be gastroesophageal reflux disease/ GERD. Does it sound like it could be? She doesn't spit up or vomit a lot but everything else seems to make sense. (P.s. calling the dr today. It's just a pain cuz the office called the day of her 1 month and said her pedi doesn't accept her type of insurance so I have to use a different pedi in a diff office who idk and don't know anything about and don't know where it is. -_- ...but I want my baby to feel better cuz she's most important!)
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Are you nursing? Gasping and choking while eating is a symptom of overactive letdown
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Are you nursing?
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Yes, overactive letdown, then. Symptoms look like reflux, but it's much easier to fix!

It's when your milk lets down forcefully, which causes baby to gasp or choke. The choking causes baby to swallow air, which causes gas.
Your supply will regulate and the letdown will calm down, but you can try inclined feeding with baby on top of you, or letting the initial letdown spray into a towel before latching baby on.

Quoting mkhc-531:

Yes I am nursing. What's overactive letdown? Lol.. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. She is my first.
mkhc-531
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Yes I'm nursing. What is over active letdown? Like producing too much milk? Sorry if I seem ignorant. I'm so new to all of this. Lol

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Are you nursing? Gasping and choking while eating is a symptom of overactive letdown

mkhc-531
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
she gasps like that even when she isn't eating. Like just sitting in her swing or car seat, even lying down. :/

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Yes, overactive letdown, then. Symptoms look like reflux, but it's much easier to fix!

It's when your milk lets down forcefully, which causes baby to gasp or choke. The choking causes baby to swallow air, which causes gas.

Your supply will regulate and the letdown will calm down, but you can try inclined feeding with baby on top of you, or letting the initial letdown spray into a towel before latching baby on.

Quoting mkhc-531:

Yes I am nursing. What's overactive letdown? Lol.. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. She is my first.

Ptitchou
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Is baby gaining weight?
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Check out this link:
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
There are some great tips for managing overactive letdown :).

Quoting mkhc-531:

Yes I'm nursing. What is over active letdown? Like producing too much milk? Sorry if I seem ignorant. I'm so new to all of this. Lol

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

mkhc-531
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I'm not sure. Last time she was weighed she was 3 weeks old (at her 2 week check up. That office was always a week behind for some reason) and had gained a pound from birth weight. Like I said, at her 1 month they called the day of and told me her pedi couldn't see her cuz she didnt accept that insurance. I am not happy about that. But I haven't been able to get her weighed since 3 weeks. But she doesn't spit up and I think she has plenty of soiled diapers so I would think she is gaining :/

Quoting Ptitchou:

Is baby gaining weight?

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Newborns make weird noises. When my first was born I freaked out over it but all my kids did it.

It definitely sounds like over active letdown not GERD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubblemama2164
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

i am thinking its slient acid reflux that is what my ds has he doesnt spit up alot  and babies with the gerd do want to suck on something all the time to help keep the acid down my ds was diagnoised at the age of 4 weeks because the doctor saw what i was talking about during his appt good luck make sure you keep her sitting up right for at least an hour after eating to help her digest better

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN