Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is a monster

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

My little one, or little monster I should say, turned a year old today. Although, his personal issues have been stemming since around 4 months (a little before his father and I separated) here lately it had been absolutely miserable being around him.

Back story- Breast fed until 3 months. First 2 weeks from the boob, the rest from the bottle. He couldn't latch so I did as much as I could from pumping but that only lasted so long from having something sucking instead of someone sucking. His father and I are separated since 6 months and he is with me about 65% and his father 35% of the time. At home he lives with me and my boyfriend, who is very well with my son, sometimes I think they have a better bond than me.  At his fathers house he lives with his grandparents and great aunt. Not being demeaning, but his father is the youngest Filipino boy in a family so he gets a lot of nurturing and his parents do a lot of parenting in his place. While he is there he is held a lot. If you know the culture, you understand what I mean. When we argue, it is not in front of my son. We try to be as mindful as possible. Around 4 months was when he developed severe eczema and its kind of an on again off again, with mostly being on type situation. This causes him to scratch a lot.

On to now- He is doing extremely well learning to walk, he started about 2 weeks before his first birthday. He is using the sippy cup completely. And I slowly got him down to about four 6 ounce cups a day of formula and he already stopped the baby food and was onto table food. He got sick a while back and stopped sucking his fingers as a soothing method because he couldn't breathe, which was completely understandable. But now he has no other soothing method besides scratching. He scratches constantly. So bad that he goes all Doom 3, bloody massacre on his face, and I'm not exaggerating, he is covered in blood from rubbing himself raw. This is with his fingernails clipped. About a week before his first birthday we started to wean him from the formula, this has ended absolutely horrible and now he will not eat any type of food besides pretzel rods and his sippy cup. My close friends and relatives have said don't cave for his sippy cup if he gets hungry, he'll eat food. But I can't just let him cry because he goes crazy scratching. It's almost to the point where I feel like either the scratching or his sippy cup are his ‘soothing' methods. I have multiple different medications for his eczema that do not seem to work in the least. I've tried many different lotions, brands, types, Benadryl, and hydrocortisones. The list is endless. At this point because he isn't eating solids primarily he wakes up constantly through out the night needing to be rocked and swaddled like a newborn and me not having a full nights rest hinders my patience for his issues

I'm at my wits end with my child and can't handle him. I need help. I can't find any other sort of case that is similar to anything he is going through to gain advice.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinakinakins
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Have you put something soft on his hands so if he scratches he won't injure himself?
samanthasokol10
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I used the baby mittens and socks when he was younger, but now I use socks and a pair of baby gloves but he knows how to take them off.

Kahla11
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

bump to see if anyone else can help. I am sorry honey, I have no advice. Has he been tested for a milk allergy for the ezcema or any type of allergy? Also good luck honey.

samanthasokol10
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

The doctor says its not likely he is allergic to anyone but recommended taking him to an allergist and a dermatologist but I can't afford it :/

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump!

Kahla11
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Are you on any type of insurance for him? Also from my understanding the father has to help with medical bills unless you have it in writting in divorce decree that he doesn't have to pay half the medical cost.

Quoting samanthasokol10:

The doctor says its not likely he is allergic to anyone but recommended taking him to an allergist and a dermatologist but I can't afford it :/

samanthasokol10
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM

He is on an Aetna plan through his father and I have to pay the copays. That is what is in our parenting plan. But right now I don't start working until the 22nd and I've been out of work since mid-June. So for him to go to both it would $120 plus whatever medications they perscribe him. I'm tired of the medicines. He's been on at least 15 and he is only a year old.

lauratupper
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

bump! ((hugs))

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Has he seen a dermatologist or allergist?? Eczema is a sign of allergies. My youngest had to get a prescription cream cause he was the same way and was raw and bleeding but in just a few days it was all cleared up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzylady88
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
For the picky eating just add different things to his plate with the rods. He might try something one day. My nephew was just like this, what really got him to explore with food was seeing his big cousins eating then he'd try it. I know it can feel like an uphill battle sometimes. I hope I was a bit helpful :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)