Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Have you heard of The Period of PURPLE Crying This...

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have you heard of "The Period of PURPLE Crying?" This is important info for new parents!

Click for Babies PURPLE Hats Campaign 2013

ProblemWe are seeing increasing numbers of infants with injuries caused by

Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) and Abusive Head Trauma (AHT).

Solution: a 50% reduction of these injuries has been achieved in populations where all birthing familiesreceive SBS and AHT prevention education, learning about

The Period of PURPLE Crying.

PURPLE stands for:

Peak of Crying—The baby may cry more each week, peaking at two months, and then less at three to five months.

Unexpected—The crying can come and go, with no explanation. (Fed, burped, clean diaper.)

Resists soothing—The baby might not stop crying, no matter what. (The “usual” methods don't work.)

Pain-like face—It may look like the baby is in pain, even when they are not.

Long-lasting—The baby might cry 5 hours a day or more.

Frustration with a baby's crying is the number one trigger for shaking and abuse.

Knitters and crocheters can help prevent infant abuse and educate the community aboutThe Period of PURPLE Crying by knitting or crocheting PURPLE colored baby caps. They must be 50% or more purple/lavender. (For boy caps, you might want to use darker purple shades & pair it with blues, greens, etc.) No ties, pom poms, etc. as they present a choking hazard.

You may visit the Click for Babies website, www.Clickforbabies.org for information

There are 9 states & 3 Canadian provinces that are having campaigns. On the Clickforbabies website you can find out who is involved that is close to you to send them the hats--contact information is there, too.

suemayonlinelove you sign

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM
That's good. I don't understand why its so hard to put baby down and walk outside. Maybe my kids were easy. When they did have those moments it was usually gas.

My mom wanted to throw me out the window though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkkeller13
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I got a book and a dvd when my son was born from the hospital about purple crying. It educated me, but thankfully my son never cried like that. He hardly ever cried. He fussed when he was hungry but that was it really.
suemayonline
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM

You both were very fortunate! But just because you never had the struggle doesn't mean you can't be an educator & support person to all the new moms around you! They will be grateful!

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My first son wasnt like this but my second was. I have endless patience when it comes to newborns but he almost got the best of me. We went on a family vacation and I had to sit outside alone on the deck at 5 am because he was already awake and started on one of his crying fits and I didn't want him waking the whole house. Nothing I did soothed him. It was the most horrible time in my life. Nobody else knew what to do or how to help me. He stressed everyone out so bad. Then suddenly he snapped out of it around 5-6 months. This campaign is a very good thing. I had been educated in the hospital with both children but after my first baby being so good I didn't give it a second thought. Awareness is so important.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM
I was educated about it upon leaving the hospital with my first. He never had these moments, but he was always very calm. My youngest, however, was a different story. Around a month old he started having crying fits and they didn't stop until he was about 5.5-6 months old... Just out of the blue no more crying that couldn't be soothed.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

My first son wasnt like this but my second was. I have endless patience when it comes to newborns but he almost got the best of me. We went on a family vacation and I had to sit outside alone on the deck at 5 am because he was already awake and started on one of his crying fits and I didn't want him waking the whole house. Nothing I did soothed him. It was the most horrible time in my life. Nobody else knew what to do or how to help me. He stressed everyone out so bad. Then suddenly he snapped out of it around 5-6 months. This campaign is a very good thing. I had been educated in the hospital with both children but after my first baby being so good I didn't give it a second thought. Awareness is so important.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Yep. Mine went to bed one night and woke up the next day a changed baby. It was so weird.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I was educated about it upon leaving the hospital with my first. He never had these moments, but he was always very calm. My youngest, however, was a different story. Around a month old he started having crying fits and they didn't stop until he was about 5.5-6 months old... Just out of the blue no more crying that couldn't be soothed.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

jlm425
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow I've not heard of this. My friend may be going through this with her little one. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the hat info...i crochet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the information!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)