Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommies who are also Nurses!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am going to be getting my Bachelors in nursing in about 2 years. So I have school I am working through. I am getting my CNA very soon and want to start in a hospital. All of this and I have a 6 month old. So school, work, baby. I wanna know from you nurse mommies, how do you juggle it all? I am not sure what usual schedules are for full time CNA/nurses. I know most work 12 hour shifts but like is that 5 days a week like normal full time jobs? any insight would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to brainstorm a schedule because I have people willing to watch DS whenever I need but I want to get an idea to them ahead of time if possible. As of this fall semester I will be going to school mon and wed 8am till mid afternoon. 

PS i am looking at night shift over day shift so I have my days with DS or school.

Thank you!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
abra
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Bump! One of my closest friends is an RN, but she retired when her daughter was born. Best of luck to you! 

lauratupper
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

bump!

Tylersmom119
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Maybe I can help. I've been nursing for 11 yrs. Most nurses (in the hospital) work 12hr shifts 3 days a week so 36hrs a week is considered full time. You should make more money working night shift since most hospitals pay shift deferential for working nights and weekends. Do you have to work full time while in school? And kudos to you for balancing family, work, & school! Nursing school is really hard but it's so rewarding. You'll be glad you went ahead and got your BSN, it'll open more doors for advancement for you in the future.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a nurse but I wanted to say how great it is that you are going to do that. I'm sure things will fall into place for you :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Well me and DF are planning a wedding for November and while he works what would be considered full time he is counted as self employed and therefore gets no benefits. Having insurance and benefits are important for us with a baby. So me working full time would get us benefits. I only have school 2 days so working three shouldn't be bad right?

Quoting Tylersmom119:

Maybe I can help. I've been nursing for 11 yrs. Most nurses (in the hospital) work 12hr shifts 3 days a week so 36hrs a week is considered full time. You should make more money working night shift since most hospitals pay shift deferential for working nights and weekends. Do you have to work full time while in school? And kudos to you for balancing family, work, & school! Nursing school is really hard but it's so rewarding. You'll be glad you went ahead and got your BSN, it'll open more doors for advancement for you in the future.

Tylersmom119
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
What about clinical time? And study time? Just try to not to overextend yourself.

Quoting Kaylahk:

Well me and DF are planning a wedding for November and while he works what would be considered full time he is counted as self employed and therefore gets no benefits. Having insurance and benefits are important for us with a baby. So me working full time would get us benefits. I only have school 2 days so working three shouldn't be bad right?

Quoting Tylersmom119:

Kaylahk
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Yea I'm really trying to not overload myself and then school slide. I'm trying to figure out what to do so that we benefit the most without the stress of overloading myself

Quoting Tylersmom119:

What about clinical time? And study time? Just try to not to overextend yourself.

Quoting Kaylahk:

Quoting Tylersmom119:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)