Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When do you personally feel is the best age to start potty training?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 39 Replies

In the absence of any medical conditions or special needs, when do you think PERSONALLY is the best time to start potty training?

If you have personal experience, what has worked for you?

Also, once daytime training takes place, when do you try for night time training.

NO BASHING EACH OTHER PLEASE. Just personal opinion.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM
When they show signs of readiness, they are all different. My dd wants fully trained until 3!
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
2 and done in the week.

My eldest was 2.5 and we waited because we uad just had a baby and didn't want him to regress. My second was 2. I will start at 2 (or sooner if he shows signs).

My older two were done in a week. No dreagging the process out.
shajdinyak
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I had my first trained by two and a half. My second is two and have no feeling of her being trained anytime soon. My first was off bottle by a year. This one still gets one to sleep. Not sure if it is them or me not having asmuch time, patience, motivation, etc the second time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM
When a child can clearly say potty & understand what that means.
2manydiapers
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I have three, and honestly its more of not sweating the small stuff.

Quoting shajdinyak:

I had my first trained by two and a half. My second is two and have no feeling of her being trained anytime soon. My first was off bottle by a year. This one still gets one to sleep. Not sure if it is them or me not having asmuch time, patience, motivation, etc the second time?
Lottie925
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

which signs specifically.

Quoting harajukumoma:

When they show signs of readiness, they are all different. My dd wants fully trained until 3!

harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That they are interested in the whole aspect of potty training- like using "big girl/boy pull ups, or training pants, they are physically able to by keeping a dry diaper for 2 hours or more, they are able to pull pants up and down. My whole mistake was I tried to get her into it before she was interested in training. I pushed her too early. Which you should never push them before they're ready anyways:)

Quoting Lottie925:

which signs specifically.

Quoting harajukumoma:

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think the best age is, as others have stated, when the child is showing signs of readiness. For my DD, this meant training at 19 months. This was great for us because it meant she was trained before terrible 2's hit and she'd been out of diapers for nearly a full year before DS came along (no regression). We were able to do night training at the same time as day training.

abra
by Abra on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I just wait until they are 3. It usually only takes a couple days for both day and night training to be mastered. 

SandraB383
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Its not up to US personally, its up to your CHILD personally. When they are ready it will just happen, no training even necessary. My older 2 kids started using the potty when they were ready just before they turned 3. There was no training, messes, struggling...it just happened :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN