Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Car Seat Terror!!! EDIT!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 31 Replies

My ten week old screams bloody murder whenever she is in the car seat. At first we thought it was the seat itself, so we bought a new one. Still screams. Then we thought it was because she couldn't see us because we both sat up front. So I stayed in the back with her and talked to her the entire time. Still screams. We've listened to lullabies, told stories, we even tried bringing her mobile from her crib (which she absolutely loves) and yet nothing has helped. It's gotten to the point where I won't go anywhere if it's not within walking distance and with this heat wave (it was 105° yesterday) we haven't left the house in three days. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions?

Edit: Wow! Featured post!!  Thank you ladies for all the responses/ suggestions. It felt good to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this nonsense and that she will eventually grow out of it. 

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebcarroll
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope, I learned, finally to just block out the screaming.  We tried everything we could think of.  It helped sometimes to give her something to drink, but other wise, she screamed until she was 2 and we turned her around forward, she stopped puking in the car too, but we figured safety in an accident trumped screaming and puking.

abra
by Abra on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Does he scream any other time when he is in that sitting/laying position? 

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

If that's the only time she screams like that then she probably just doesn't like the carseat. Some kids are like that and there is nothing you can do about it until they are big enough to be forward facing. I would just continue with what you normally do and take her out of the carseat when you leave the car. 

SteffM0501
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Nope, just in the car. We can put her in the car seat before we leave and she's fine but as soon as we lock it into the base, she loses her mind.

Quoting abra:

abra
by Abra on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Huh. One of my kids was like that and he outgrew that phase after a month or two. 

Quoting SteffM0501:

Nope, just in the car. We can put her in the car seat before we leave and she's fine but as soon as we lock it into the base, she loses her mind.

Quoting abra:

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My first was like that.  It turns out that he actually was carsick for most of his first year of life due to riding backwards.  :(  As much as I hated to do it, I turned him forward VERY soon after his 1st birthday.  He's been fine ever since. 

Do you have a little fan back there.  Something that moving air will help.  They sell clip-on battery operated fans help.  A mirror. Not just so you can see her but so that she can see herself.

CafeMom Tickers

Aandie
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Was the new seat you purchased a convertible? Most babies who get upset in the infant seat seem to do well in a convertible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM
My son was like that. You are not alone!!! Either she doesn't like the reclined position or the car itself. Once we put our son in a convertible around 3-4mos he stopped. Now he likes to chunk toys at his sister!!! Hope you can find something that works.......
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My dds been like that since she got out of the Nicu at 4 weeks old- she's 10 mos now and alot better, but there's still times where she whines alot but not nearly as bad as it used to be! And I tried everything..- toys, mirrors, a piece of my clothing for comfort, a paci, music, EVERYTHING!!!! The only thing that worked for her was time:)
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

some kids are just like this.   My almost 4 year old was the same way, where her other sisters loved/love the car...she has SPD and she's still very picky about being in the car...she cries if it is too hot or cold, or if she's in it longer than 30 minutes she complains that her butt hurts...it did help her at 6 months when we moved to a convertible seat that sat her more upright and she could see out the windows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)