Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

breast fed babies and their poop?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 31 Replies

My LO is 3 months and is strictly breastfed. He was having a poop every 3-4 days. Well now it has been a week and the dr. said that that can happen with babies. Well I'm getting worried and tried the bath they recommended and today I'm going to give him a little bit of apple juice per the doctor. My husband tells me i'm freaking out and that everything is fine. Am I? Do any of your babies go only one time a week or longer being on BM? He is still peeing a ton just no poop.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, completely normal.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM
3 moms liked this
It's completely normal. I would be worried if he was in pain, but if he's passing gas and his tummy isn't hard he isn't constipated. A three month old shouldn't get any juice. Mine was going aout every 8-9 days until he started eating solids, then he went to 3-4 days.
The doctor shouldn't have recommended juice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JWibb
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies. I guess I will stop freaking out and wait to see what happens. :-)  He is passing gas and usually that means he's going to go but hasn't. Thankful that there are ladies out there that can calm my nerves. Appreciate your help.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
totally normal.... my oldest only went every 7-10 days, the youngest every other day, the one in the middle every 3-4 days... if you are strictly breastfeeding and baby is satisfied with the breast I would not mess up his gut by adding juice
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Yes it's normal. I wouldn't ruin his virgin gut with apple juice either.

Try massaging him from lower back to bum, like gently pull. It will stimulate the bowels.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Passing gas means there isn't anything blocking his way and he just doesn't have to yet. I would avoid putting nice clothes on him for a while though. When he goes it's going to be a mess.

Quoting JWibb:

Thanks ladies. I guess I will stop freaking out and wait to see what happens. :-)  He is passing gas and usually that means he's going to go but hasn't. Thankful that there are ladies out there that can calm my nerves. Appreciate your help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Totally normal for breast feed baby's. They absorb more of what they eat.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Totally normal. Don't give any juice :(

Exclusively breastfed babies can go up to 2 weeks.

twogirl91
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Completely normal, no need to give your baby apple juice. They can go up to 2 weeks without pooping. Don't worry about it! 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That's normal, breastfed babies can go over a week and it be totally fine. In my experience, a good bath or trip to the pool would make them poop within a few hours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)