Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spit Up Showers

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have been breast feeding my son (a week old) and every time I get done feeding him and get ready to burp him, he spits up. Not just a little either there's enough to fill a tablespoon or two. I cut out diary from my diet because I heard that babies can't digest something in diary. What can I do to minimize him spitting up? I feel so bad every time he spits up because he starts to cry after. What am I doing wrong?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
larissalarie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
That's really not much spit up mama. You aren't doing anything wrong and it's highly unlikely that you need to cut dairy although if it does become problematic that's a good idea.

Think about it- baby is brand new with a never before used digestive system. He's also on an all liquid diet. And oh yeah, he's also always flat. There's also a good chance you've got the oversupply that many moms experience when their milk first comes in! OF COURSE baby spits up :-)
It's totally normal and usually unconcerning. The majority of babies spit up and rarely is it problematic. Give it some time. If he's growing well and having plenty of diapers, it's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alandou
by April on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I was always told that spit up is normal even after I expressed concern over my daughter's spit up at least 3 times to her pedi. He said that if it isn't projectile spit up, then it's ok. Thankfully it wasn't any more than that, but I can relate to your concerns.

emkirkley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
spot up is normal at this age, particularly if you are engorged at all... just make sure he's opening as wide as possible when latching and burp between sides sometimes in the early days especially if engorged you can have an overactive let- down that can cause them to gulp and get a little air bubble...
irishmama1007
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Like others have said he could just be swallowing a lot of air and need burping more often. My DD is 2.5 weeks old and sometimes it sounds like she is chugging the milk because it comes so fast. I know I will get 1 of 2 things...a huge belch or a lot of spitup. Yesterday she spit up so much she went through 3 clothes changes in 1.5 hrs.

I use the store brand of Mylecon drops to help break up her gas bubbles. They help a lot.

twogirl91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My sons would spit up almost a oz at a time, it probably was due to my over active letdown. My oldest spit up until he was 6months old and my second until he was 9months old. They were gaining weight and doing everything on time so I didn't worry about it. Just kept a spit up cloth handy. Some babies just spit up. 

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

That's normal, IMO

IrishIz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

That's nothing to worry about.  That is a minimal amout of spitting up and totally normal.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)