• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help with my 16 month old son

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have a 16 month old son he is bad he will not do anything I ask he hits me is there something I can do to stop this! !!!!
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Remember he is a baby and isn't going to understand everything that you ask and hitting is more because he doesn't have the words to express himself yet. 

MixedCooke
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Distraction works in rears to tantrums at this age and at about 2 and change you can try timeouts.

Nicki1995
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM
He is only 16 months. He's most likely not going to do much that you ask anyway. I agree with distraction or 30 second to 1 minute timeout.

Quoting proudmomma2013:

I have a 16 month old son he is bad he will not do anything I ask he hits me is there something I can do to stop this! !!!!

noonelikeme564
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Baby's this young have a hard time understanding and expressing themselves so he could just be wanting atention so i would try time outs too!

emkirkley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

discipline your son in some way.  grab his hand firmly and tell him "NO" sternly and follow it with, hitting hurts, you must be easy and show him how to pat or rub gently.  If he doens't follow directions put him in time out or physically make him do what you wish him to do, you have to do it a lot at that age, but you can't just expect him to do things if you aren't willing to enforce the rules that he must be nice and follow directions.

SamanthaSage
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Well what kinds of things do you ask of him? He's only 16 months. You can't expect too much.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

16 month old children are not possible at being bad. He is unsure of how to express himself and needs guidance. He is still learning the rules for the world around him. For hitting, sternly and firmly say no and hold his hand. Say nice touch only and give his hand a kiss. I did this with my son and he stopped hitting within a week and instead would come up and kiss my hand or give me his hand for a kiss, lol.

I'm not sure what you mean by not doing what you ask? So i'm unsure on how to guide you there.

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM
When my 18 mo old doesn't listen (to things I know he knows) I put him alone. Give him warnings and then follow through. I usually put him on our mattress (on the floor), close the door mostly and walk away. It works wonders for temper tantrums. He's a socializing kind of kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkhc-531
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM
I would firmly say, "Not nice!" Rather than "No!" And let him know to use nice hands and gentle touches. If he is in something he shouldn't be, say "walk away, please." and redirect him to toys or something to do. Remember that he doesn't know and will probably forget what he can and can't do. That age can be tough sometimes and when a certain negative behavior is repeated it can be very frustrating. Just make sure you are staying with him, guiding him directing him and occupying him, or give him something or an activity to keep him occupied until you can resume giving him your full attention. But it probably won't be for a very long time that he will stay occupied with one particular thing, so keep that in mind! Good luck and I hope you guys find a middle ground! Lol
mkhc-531
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Also avoid telling HIM he is bad or giving him negative attention. He is not likely to remember it right now, but if it becomes habit for him to hear how "bad" he is, he can carry that with him the rest of his life and end up depressed and feeling unwanted. Good luck! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)