Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: Bf in public

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 37 Replies
  • i really want to bf in public but i get embarassed? i went to my aunts job and i tried to latch her on my nipple under a blanket and it was hard to latch her on. No i cant pump it out cause she dont like drinking from bottled just my breast. How can i feel comfortable doing this in public?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM

practice at home, don't try to use a blanket, get a real nursing cover, try the two shirt method

JadeTigr7
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this
You have to just keep doing it to feel comfortable.
mommyofblueyes
by Ape on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say this exactly!  I practiced in front of a mirror.  After the first month, I didn't care anymore.  I just did it. 

Quoting emkirkley:

practice at home, don't try to use a blanket, get a real nursing cover, try the two shirt method

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You just have to do it.  Once you've done it a few times you'll get used to it and it wont seem uncomfortable anymore.

abra
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM
nursing covers are excellent for that! :-)
polkaspots
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
3 moms liked this
I wear adjustable strap tanks and just pull it down to nurse. It's called the two shirt method. You pull the undershirt down and the outer shirt up. Your tummy is covered and the top of your breast is covered. Also, try nursing in front of a mirror to make yourself more comfortable with what other people see. I sat on the couch one day nursing like that once and had my husband video me while walking around to see all the different perspectives. It's easy enough to pop your hand over your nipple real quick when baby unlatches.
Blankets and covers are known for making nursing more difficult and more noticeable, which is the exact opposite of what you want. When I was having trouble latching on, I would stand facing a wall or corner just to latch on and then go back to where I was beforehand while I was nursing. It was easier to move than to try to cover myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drmkj
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM
You will feel this way for the first 3-4 times then you will be a pro at it! I faced the same situation n now I feed her in public beautifully :£
Natashaxo
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for teh advice everyone.. ill keep trying. I did it again but she was crying hysterically.. omg it was embarassing.. hopefully ill get the hang of it :D

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM
This

Quoting emkirkley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I find when mine get to the point that they are distracted, or won't relax enough to latch for letdown, it isn't worth the hassle of doing it in public.

You've received great advice and definitely, go for any of it, all of it could eventually work.

But I also encourage you to keep trying to offer pumped milk in a bottle. I promise my babes would never have made it an entire year on breast milk if it hadn't been for an early ability to take breast or bottle, pumped milk, and a frozen stockpile.

Good luck mama.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)