Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
Let me start by saying, I bf my LO (8 wks old). And she almost always falls asleep while nursing. So in the middle of the night when I'm asleep and she wakes up, I nurse and we fall asleep together. I know some parents are very against that because of SIDS and stuff. But I personally feel like my instincts are good enough to not get into a real deep sleep if I'm laying with my dd -so no cause for alarm of suffocating her or anything else. With that said, my SO worries that baby is getting too dependant on laying with me and his mother is a little upset because "she spent good money on a bassinet for her" and we haven't used it even once. I'd honestly like to get some use out of it and also allow my dd to transition into sleeping on her own. I do not want her to "cry it out." A little fussing and a little crying, ok. But when she gets to the point of screaming, I can't handle it. I read that they stop crying and fall asleep because they feel abandoned and have given up all hope of reassurance and comfort. I'd like to focus on how she feels rather than forcing a behavior (of sleeping alone). So if they are any POSITIVE suggestions from moms who've been in my position, rather than moms who want to tell me how much I'm spoiling my infant, I'd love some (positive) feedback! [Sorry if I sound like a bitch. I just hate when ladies get on here and give p.o's telling other ladies how to parent. I'm asking for help. Not opinions or judgement.] Thank you! :)

*UPDATE: So my mom and my SO's mom tell me to put dd down and just let her cry. I CANNOT bring myself to do that! And I know they're trying to help but I never told them what they should do as parents. Do I pretend to listen and let it all go out the other end or do I stand up for myself and say "thank you for your advice but no thank you. It's something I have to figure out on my own." ?! :'(
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Replies (41-43):
bris_mom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

First baby I started 8months (i had no idea, i should of started earlier) i picked her up over and over and over again like a maniac until she gt tired and fell asleep. 2nd baby I let her fall asleep on her own straight from the hospital she was sleeping 4-5hrs stretch and through the night at 6 weeks. 

Quoting mkhc-531:

At what age did you start and HOW did you start? I'm trying to kind of set a type of routine but some people say a routine starts from the time we wake up until bed time. Which is true, but she is only 8 weeks. But I thought babies this little don't have a routine. They don't know how to follow a routine. When they're tired they're tired, when they're hungry they're hungry. So I never really tried to set one. Did you pick her up when she cried and pat until she calmed down and then lay her down again? Did you have to feed in between?

This is how I got my baby to sleep through the night violet-sleepbabysleep.blogspot

This is how I potty Trained my Toddler  totsand kids101.blogspot

mkhc-531
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Lol yea.. I think if I ever have another I'll start him/her off sleeping alone right away. I just didn't do the with her because the first night home she stil had amniotic fluid in her throat and she started gagging cuz she couldn't turn over. It scared the shit out of me! And at the time our mattress was on the floor so its not like I could peek over to see if she was ok .. So I never let her lay alone.

Quoting bris_mom:

First baby I started 8months (i had no idea, i should of started earlier) i picked her up over and over and over again like a maniac until she gt tired and fell asleep. 2nd baby I let her fall asleep on her own straight from the hospital she was sleeping 4-5hrs stretch and through the night at 6 weeks. 

Quoting mkhc-531:

At what age did you start and HOW did you start? I'm trying to kind of set a type of routine but some people say a routine starts from the time we wake up until bed time. Which is true, but she is only 8 weeks. But I thought babies this little don't have a routine. They don't know how to follow a routine. When they're tired they're tired, when they're hungry they're hungry. So I never really tried to set one. Did you pick her up when she cried and pat until she calmed down and then lay her down again? Did you have to feed in between?

merryvoice
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I co-slept, to hell with what other people think. You could get a co-sleeping bed if everyone is so worried about it. It goes right next to you on the bed, so no chance of suffocation.

But as far as transitioning your baby to the crib, you'll know when it's the right time. I co-slept until my daughter started crawling all over the bed. That was the right time for us. Co-sleeping creates a BOND, not a spoiled child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)