Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Routine [follow up from: Sleep HELP]

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 16 Replies
Night one of trying to set a sleep routine. I gave her a bath, put a diaper on her, nursed her for about 10 mins (she unlatched on her own), tried to burp her and laid her down. The very second I laid her down she woke up. About 15 seconds later she let out a loud wail, and I picked her up. Fail #1 .. then I allowed her to nurse herself to sleep again, this time switching her to a pacifier after about 20 mins. Waited for a few mins and laid her down again. Again she woke up. After a few mins she started crying. Then the crying got louder and harder. I laid on the floor next to 'sleep space' and I (silently) cried with her. Fail #2. After about 7 mins of screaming and crying I picked her up again. Fail #3. I need A LOT of physical support with this. It literally breaks my heart to hear her cry and scream :'(
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubblemama2164
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

how old is she? i would try placing her in her bed awake and not a sleep so she learns to soothe herself to sleep

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

mkhc-531
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM
8 weeks. And I wanted to avoid the cry it out. It breaks my heart to hear the way she is crying but I feel like that's going to be my only option. :'( that's why I'll need A lot of physical support .. I need someone to check on her and let me know she is ok. It's too much anxiety for me to hear her like that ... But I have to break it before I make it too hard for her to sleep alone :( with a little extra help someone else can check on her to keep me from being tempted to pick her up.

Quoting bubblemama2164:

how old is she? i would try placing her in her bed awake and not a sleep so she learns to soothe herself to sleep

brittany208
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

awwww. there is not a single fail in what you did at all!! im sorry its not going well. but remember, its just night one. you are doing great! just keep trying and find what works best for her.

perhaps she didnt have time to get thoroughly tired? i usually lay and nurse my DS longer than that. so he's pretty much asleep. he flutters his eyes and wakes back up when i pick him up and move him to his bed.

not sure how big you are or how big her sleep space is, but if its a big crib and youre a small lady, you could lay in the crib with her for a bit? otherwise, keep a hand on her for awhile? what about a sidecar thing for your bed as a transition piece?

mkhc-531
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Thank you for the support. I'm trying to get her into a bassinet my SO's mom bought. I feel like she is almost too big for it now. Maybe it's because bassinets aren't as open as cribs. so I can't fit. And idk what kind of side car.. but we are sleeping on a futon until we get a mattress. Actually, since her sleeping habits are all whack she and I sleep in a recliner in the living room. SO sleeps on the futon in our room. He doesn't like it and neither do I. But between the 3 of us on there I have no room and am extremely uncomfortable. So I bring her with me and we sleep out there. :/

Quoting brittany208:

awwww. there is not a single fail in what you did at all!! im sorry its not going well. but remember, its just night one. you are doing great! just keep trying and find what works best for her.

perhaps she didnt have time to get thoroughly tired? i usually lay and nurse my DS longer than that. so he's pretty much asleep. he flutters his eyes and wakes back up when i pick him up and move him to his bed.

not sure how big you are or how big her sleep space is, but if its a big crib and youre a small lady, you could lay in the crib with her for a bit? otherwise, keep a hand on her for awhile? what about a sidecar thing for your bed as a transition piece?

JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM

First, remember it's night 1 and routines start from the time they wake up in the morning. It may help if you have her on more of a general routine from the time she wakes up in the morning to the time she goes to bed at night. It took both of my kids about a week to get into a good routine and both of them were put on a routine at 8 weeks. Have you tried swaddling her? One of my kids loved that. That may help her feel more secure. Just remember, it isn't a fail if you tend to your crying baby. Does it help her if you lay with her or pat her back or something other than picking her up?

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Do not let an 8 week old CIO! I don't support CIO at any age but even CIO experts say not to do it under 6 months of age. It's cruel.

Your baby NEEDS you. She's not not sleeping to be mean, she's been inside your womb for the past nine months and used to being as close as humanly possible. Nurse her to sleep, be close to her, enjoy getting that time with your child. It's not going to last forever and you will miss it when it's gone.

Have you considered bed-sharing?

bubblemama2164
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

she is too young for cry it out. She still needs you to help her sleep with my son at that age i would feed him his bottle and put him down while he was a sleep. To make sure he was a sleep i would lift his arm up and let it drop if it did it i knew he was a sleep there is a good chance she wont sleep thru the night still though and she might not have been ready for bed yet.

Quoting mkhc-531:

8 weeks. And I wanted to avoid the cry it out. It breaks my heart to hear the way she is crying but I feel like that's going to be my only option. :'( that's why I'll need A lot of physical support .. I need someone to check on her and let me know she is ok. It's too much anxiety for me to hear her like that ... But I have to break it before I make it too hard for her to sleep alone :( with a little extra help someone else can check on her to keep me from being tempted to pick her up.

Quoting bubblemama2164:

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

emilyelephant
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
8 weeks is too young for CIO anyway, don't feel pressured into it! We did it at 7 months and it worked great for us. We also tried having SO sleep on the couch for a little while so DD and I weren't so close to each other, and she could learn to sleep without my body heat. I think that helped when we finally did do cio. Maybe you could try sleeping with her and giving her a lovey so it becomes a comfort to her just like you are, then transition her and let her keep the lovey. Or even just your shirt for your scent. Like a pp said, it's just one night, parenting is a lot of trial and error
brittany208
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

that's a rough sleeping arrangement. does she own a full sized crib and you could go straight to that and skip the bassinet? I know your MIL (?) wants you to use it, but a happy baby is more impotant than a happy MIL right now. neither of my boys used a bassinet. my first slept in bed with me for a couple weeks, then in a swing for a couple weeks, then went right to his own crib next to my bed at one month no problem. this baby slept half the night in bed with me/half in bouncy seat. now, half in bed with me/half in pack n play next to my side of the bed.

speaking of, do you have a swing or bouncy seat you could try? both make me nervous with SIDS bc if their heads drop forward, it could compromise their breathing. but sleeping on a recliner is a no-no too, so it wouldnt be any worse.

what about a swaddle wrap? i forgot i used that for a few days to help my little guy transition. i thought being wrapped up tightly would simulate being snuggled by me enough that he would sleep without me next to him and i think that helped too. he did NOT like it when i was wrapping him up, but then he slept...

Quoting mkhc-531:

Thank you for the support. I'm trying to get her into a bassinet my SO's mom bought. I feel like she is almost too big for it now. Maybe it's because bassinets aren't as open as cribs. so I can't fit. And idk what kind of side car.. but we are sleeping on a futon until we get a mattress. Actually, since her sleeping habits are all whack she and I sleep in a recliner in the living room. SO sleeps on the futon in our room. He doesn't like it and neither do I. But between the 3 of us on there I have no room and am extremely uncomfortable. So I bring her with me and we sleep out there. :/

Quoting brittany208:

brittany208
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

this is a great idea! the shirt thing makes me nervous, since it could be a cuffocation hazard. actually, the lovey could too, so OP, just keep that in mind when choosing something. my first DS had an afghan blanket. with all the holes, i knew he couldn't suffocate if he tried 

Quoting emilyelephant:

8 weeks is too young for CIO anyway, don't feel pressured into it! We did it at 7 months and it worked great for us. We also tried having SO sleep on the couch for a little while so DD and I weren't so close to each other, and she could learn to sleep without my body heat. I think that helped when we finally did do cio. Maybe you could try sleeping with her and giving her a lovey so it becomes a comfort to her just like you are, then transition her and let her keep the lovey. Or even just your shirt for your scent. Like a pp said, it's just one night, parenting is a lot of trial and error

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)