Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Ever heard of this?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

A potluck baby shower?!

So, this baby shower is from 5pm-7pm and asks to bring a warm covered dish (that'll feed 4-5 people) as well as telling me where the soon to be mom is registered. Have you ever heard of doing this? I understand that times are tight for everyone, but how do I go about budgeting for a dish & a gift. (I was the only one invited (out of my family of 5) or do I find a way to gracefully decline the invitation? Oh and the baby shower is next weekend, if that makes any difference.

Mom to 3 boys, married for 18+ yrs ...... Live, Laugh & Lots n Lots of Aloha!!!
mommyhonu :0)
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

bump!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Potlucks are common here. I usually make a big salad, some sort of dessert etc.
They are a fun way to try different things!
anxiousschk
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Wait...you have to bring food and a gift?  

No.  

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

yes, a warm covered dish and a gift.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Wait...you have to bring food and a gift?  

No.  

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Potlucks are very common where I grew up as well, but were for the entire family. I just thought it was odd to invite me and leave out the rest of my family but yet still ask me to bring something to feed 4-5 people.

Quoting Randi02:

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM

By 'rest of your family' do you mean husband and kids were not invited? I think that's becoming less common now, I wouldn't be able to go without bringing my kids because we don't have a babysitter.

If I could bring them, I would definitely go. You could make something cheap like a lasagna, or a pasta salad... Even a pan of brownies. If you're on a budget - just grab a box and make those. Those things feed more than 4-5 people, but they are great choices.

Quoting mommyhonu:

Potlucks are very common where I grew up as well, but were for the entire family. I just thought it was odd to invite me and leave out the rest of my family but yet still ask me to bring something to feed 4-5 people.

Quoting Randi02:

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yes, my hubby & boys were NOT invited (I even called my Auntie to double check). I know that baby showers have taken on inviting men to celebrate in the fun of things. But, I just can't see that I need to make something to feed 4-5 people, a baby gift and then also telling my hubby "Sorry hun, you and the boys are on your own tonight for dinner." 

I'm starting to think that I should just say that I'm sorry that I can't make it and give a baby gift. I'm always sure to give a gift even if I can't make it to the shower.

Quoting Randi02:

By 'rest of your family' do you mean husband and kids were not invited? I think that's becoming less common now, I wouldn't be able to go without bringing my kids because we don't have a babysitter.

If I could bring them, I would definitely go. You could make something cheap like a lasagna, or a pasta salad... Even a pan of brownies. If you're on a budget - just grab a box and make those. Those things feed more than 4-5 people, but they are great choices.

Quoting mommyhonu:

Quoting Randi02:

Lovemyshadows
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I would decline and send a gift.

anxiousschk
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I'm still trying to understand.  to me, it's an either/or.  Food or gift.  

What, exactly, are those throwing the shower contributing?  If someone is throwing me a party (b/c i'm certainly not throwing something for myself and asking for gifts), then I'd feel awful finding out people were asked to bring food AND a gift.  

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I know, they didn't have to make it at dinner time. It very well could have been at tea time or just write "lite snacks to be served". It's being thrown at someone's house so it's not like they're renting a hall out.

As far as the person that's throwing the shower, I have no idea what she's contributing.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I'm still trying to understand.  to me, it's an either/or.  Food or gift.  

What, exactly, are those throwing the shower contributing?  If someone is throwing me a party (b/c i'm certainly not throwing something for myself and asking for gifts), then I'd feel awful finding out people were asked to bring food AND a gift.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)