Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anybody started potty training on the early side? What has your experience been?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 6 Replies

My DD who is now 6 was potty trained at 2.5 It was very easy. We went to night time underwear shortly after daytime training.

My DS just turned 18 months and seems interested in the potty. And now, he's telling me right before he poops! It's like he's looking for me to do something prior to the poop. Like... hey Mom... I need to poop? lol

I'm thinking the next time he says it I would try putting him on the potty. I asked him if he wanted to try the potty like his sister and he says yes.

If you did it on the early side... what was your strategy? My DD was old enough to talk about it with. I could talk to him about it, but I don't know how much he would understand. I could also reward him with an m&m. 

I guess I could just try and if it's not something he's into, wait a few months.

Thoughts?

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My kids were all potty trained, day and night between 18-22 months.
Our last one is 16 months, I expect him to train early as well.
We just didn't make a big deal out of it, here's the potty, we pee on it.
Plus some nakie time. Easy as could be for all of mine.
SaraNicole1019
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I came on here to actually ask about potty training.
I'm potty training my daughter (who just turned 21 months.)
She just goes naked or with just a shirt on and she just goes and sits on the potty when she needs to go.
I'm only having trouble with her telling me she needs to go!
She just goes and sits and goes on her own, she doesn't tell me before she does.
And since we travel a lot I'm not sure how I'm going to get her to tell me.
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
My daughter seemed interested at the same age so we went forward with it. She ended up stressed so I backed off and waited. She just became ready again at 2.5. Only took her a couple of days though. She had 1 accident for 2 days and then no more.

Good luck
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

All my kids when they wanted to sit on the potty when they wanted too. All my girls when we thought they might be ready we just put them in underwear during the day. They had to many accidents. So we knew they were not ready. But if they wanted to wear underwear during the day. We let them. My two older girls were over year years old when they used the potty all the time. My 2.5 year old the last two days has wore underwear when home. She will tell us she has to go and we just haven't made it in time. We are getting there. So we will see when she starts using it during the day all the time.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
My boys were late trainers and my oldest still has accidents due to a medical condition.

My 4.5 year old was super easy to train. We put him in underwear at 4 when he was showing signs of physical readiness, no pull ups except at night. Once he stopped peeing in the pull up at night for about a week we did underwear. It took one month from start to finish. He had a couple accidents after that but he hasn't had one in months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harajukumoma
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I started trying at 16 mos... Way too early for my dd, she wasn't fully trained Til 3 1/2! That backfired on me, pushing her when she wasn't ready.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)