Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 18 Replies
My one month old is strictly breastfed. I do put a little rice cereal in his bottle at night (he was a premi and rice cereal is helping with weight gain) in the mornings he can't poop. He cries and cries bc nothing is coming out. My poor baby is constipated. Help!
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubblemama2164
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM

call the pedi because the cereal is probally making him constipated, they may suggest juice, or a suppository

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Rice cereal has nothing to do with weight gain. It's very low in calories and extremely high in sugar. But it is 100% the cause of his constipation. A preemie should not get solids until they are older.

Read this:
Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM
The rice cereal is the issue. Don't offer it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Please please please stop the rice cereal. It is so unhealthy, especially for a breastfed baby. What was the "weight problem"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Oh and breastmilk is a natural laxative. No need to add anything else to baby's diet, just nurse nurse nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Stop the cereal. Just nurse.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Yikes!  Rice cereal does NOT help babies gain weight.  Please don't do that to him anymore.  Cereal is horrible on infants tummies.  It is notorious for causing constipation and it has no actual nutrition in it.  All those fake vitamins and minerals are not good for kids.  And there are now studies out there that have proven that infants under the age of 12 months can not digest any kind of grain.  Just keep him on the breast and stop the cereal.  Breast milk is a natural laxative, so that in itself will help. 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

No juice either.  

Quoting bubblemama2164:

call the pedi because the cereal is probally making him constipated, they may suggest juice, or a suppository

CafeMom Tickers

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I would call the pedi.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

It's the rice cereal.  It notorious for causing constipation.  I'd cut out the cereal.  It's very hard to digest and has less calories per ounce then breast milk.  Baby should be able to gain weight just fine on breast milk alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)