Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

help :(

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 13 Replies

What do you do when your 2 month old son is wide awake and just wants to play but you cant stay awake to do so? Thaddy has slept MAX 3 hours in the last 12 hours. Why is he not falling asleep? Why is it when he does, he is not staying asleep and wakes up wanting to play? I am so exhausted!

I have fed him and fed him and fed him. If hes being held and played with he is very happy. But doesnt even dose off. The little bit he has slept has been him falling asleep while eating, but then he wakes up 15-20 minutes later, wide awake, and ready to play. Even after an hour he is still wanting to play.

I am seriously falling asleep while holding him, and terrified im going to drop him. And I dont do co-sleeping. Plus, he gets mad if I lay him down with me. I have already tried that. He wants to be sitting or standing, and he wont do the swing or bouncer either :(

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Umm... Do you have a bed time routine? Also, could also be cutting teeth. My son doesnt sleep when hes cutting
jesuschild06
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

hes been teething, but he doesnt seem in pain at all. because hes smiley and stuff when hes held. We kind of have one. nothing huge, he hates baths so we cant do that for bed time :p we usually just listen to nature sounds, while eating, change diaper, eat, and then rock a bit if he hasnt fallen asleep yet. and usually after about 5 minutes of rocking he is falling asleep so he gets layed in his crib where he puts his thumb in his mouth and falls asleep within a minute. 

I dunno, maybe i should try tylenol? I have given him teething gel but it hasnt made a difference at all. 

I seriously wuldnt care that he were still up and wanted held and played with if I wasnt continuously falling asleep while doing so. I just fear of not being startled and waking up when he starts slipping.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Umm... Do you have a bed time routine? Also, could also be cutting teeth. My son doesnt sleep when hes cutting

lauratupper
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM

bump!

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM
3 moms liked this
  1. NO LIGHTS--stay in a dark room--any activity will keep him interested and awake
  2. MASSAGE--start at the feet and rub towards the heart, using lavender scented lotion helps
  3. HEAD ON YOUR HEART--reminds him of sound he heard in your womb
  4. SHUSHING SOUND--reminds him of sounds heard in your womb
  5. BURP HIM--One burp doesnt mean he still isnt gassy--rub belly counterclockwise, bicycle his legs
  6. ROCK HIM--Rocking motion reminds him of being in your womb
  7. WALK HIM--Maybe put him in a stroller and walk around the house a bit

Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Did you try swaddling?
jesuschild06
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Thank you. luckilly he fell asleep before 1am (time it says you posted) so i didnt have to read this! but i will most definately try these the next time he decides to not sleep!

Quoting MixedCooke:

1. NO LIGHTS--stay in a dark room--any activity will keep him interested and awake
  2. MASSAGE--start at the feet and rub towards the heart, using lavender scented lotion helps
  3. HEAD ON YOUR HEART--reminds him of sound he heard in your womb
  4. SHUSHING SOUND--reminds him of sounds heard in your womb
  5. BURP HIM--One burp doesnt mean he still isnt gassy--rub belly counterclockwise, bicycle his legs
  6. ROCK HIM--Rocking motion reminds him of being in your womb
  7. WALK HIM--Maybe put him in a stroller and walk around the house a bit

jesuschild06
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

no, that is one thing i know NOT to do. He absolutely hates it. He even gets mad when I wrap the towel around him after a bath.  he does not like being confined ! lol

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Did you try swaddling?

Newfie_Mom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh sorry lol that was my go to for all three of my kids. Glad he went to sleep for you though

Quoting jesuschild06:

no, that is one thing i know NOT to do. He absolutely hates it. He even gets mad when I wrap the towel around him after a bath.  he does not like being confined ! lol

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Did you try swaddling?

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM
We went through that as well. She is three months and is getting better. When we have our night time bottle there is no lights, no tv, nothing.

Do you maybe have someone who can help you? My husband and I had to take turns a few nights because I was so exhausted and couldn't stay awake.

I also learned to sleep when she sleeps, even if its just twenty min. When she wakes up, I put her back to sleep and lay her down. Eventually she will just sleep.

It was hard for me because we were both still learning (still are), and I was exhausted. Hang in there, you will figure it out!
abra
by Abra on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
It's probably just a phase. I'd hire someone to come watch him so you could sleep! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)