Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Making baby food....

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 40 Replies
So when it's time I plan on making Kalisi's baby food. I haven't done it before but it seems so much more logical and healthier for her. Not to mention cheaper. That way I am not limited to just what Gerber or whomever sells. I will still buy the prunes in jar maybe. But this way once she gets to stage two and three I can just purée what we are eating for dinner.

What do you guys think about the Beaba Babycook? LOVE the concept since it steams, purée, and also defrosts (if I do frozen). Can do small 1-2 portions or enough for the week. I am looking on Craigslist and there are a few so I can save more money buying it on there.
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I am considering making baby food as well. I would not buy a baby food maker its an expensive gadget and you will only be using for a short time . If you really want to make baby food just buy a really good blender or food processor they will do the same thing and more and you will be able to use for years to come.
X.Rukia.X
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I do have a very nice blender (a Blentec) but the problem is it is so big and to make just a 2oz or 4oz serving in it won't work as it will just push everything to the sides. Plus I figured it would be convenient to not have a bunch of items to wash after. I have four kids and we are always going and always have things to get done. Figured less is more lol!!!

Quoting DACIA79:

I am considering making baby food as well. I would not buy a baby food maker its an expensive gadget and you will only be using for a short time . If you really want to make baby food just buy a really good blender or food processor they will do the same thing and more and you will be able to use for years to come.
Peachy34500
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I got the baby bullet has a gift and I loved it.. you could also just use a blender or food processor. If your going to make batches which is the easiest thing to do, I froze mine in ice cube trays that way it was easiser to figure out the serving ..
emshab
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I used my food processor and just froze all the extra servings.  I also got a food mill for times when i need to just do something quickly.

X.Rukia.X
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I was looking at that too. I like the steaming feature of the Beaba. (I don't have a steamer.)

Quoting Peachy34500:

I got the baby bullet has a gift and I loved it.. you could also just use a blender or food processor. If your going to make batches which is the easiest thing to do, I froze mine in ice cube trays that way it was easiser to figure out the serving ..
jlm425
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I just used a stick mixer and it was great. Male batches and freeze them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Do baby led weaning and don't worry about purees.This baby is number 4 for us too and I can't imagine having to mess with pureed food. BLW they eat what you eat, no extra steps needed.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I make my baby food with everybody else's food. Much easier. Before he turned a year old I would purée leftover veggies and he got that a few times when his grandparents watched him, but they said he didn't like it. I don't agree with regularly spoon feeding an infant. My kids can feed themselves and always have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
If baby needs purees they aren't ready for solids...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoot4thestars
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM

My mother in law got me a food processor for Christmas, so I figured I'd put some use into it and made his food that way.  Otherwise, I would have bought a blender and would have done it that way.  Some people just do baby led solids from the beginning and cut up what they're having for meals in small pieces and not really pureeing anything.  Things like bananas, avocados and mango's you don't anything for, just use a fork to mash with and add a little bit of water if needed.  I wanted to see what purees were all about, so I did two batches of that with just about every kind of vegetable and fruits and froze them in ice cube makes for the month, but after this I think I'll do the baby led solids from there on out.  I'm sure it would have been easier in a blender, the food processor just seems like to much of a mess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)