Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really Bad Cough in 4 month old

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM
  • 17 Replies

My ds has had cold type symptoms for around 2-3 weeks now the past 2 nights his cough has gotten worse it actually wakes him up between 4-5 am and he use to sleep til between 8-9 ( no i am not complaining about the waking up earlier ) I am starting to worry it maybe something worse then just a cold now anyone else experence  this 

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:55 AM
2-3 weeks is a long time for anyone to be experiencing cold symptoms, especially a young baby. Have you taken her to the doctor? It could be more than just a cold
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubblemama2164
by Beth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM

i took him last monday because he had the cold symptoms and the said it was a cold and then i took him again this monday and they said he seemed like he was getting better ( which did seem that way) and now his cough is getting worse

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

2-3 weeks is a long time for anyone to be experiencing cold symptoms, especially a young baby. Have you taken her to the doctor? It could be more than just a cold

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

preacherskid
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

The cough could be croup.  I would go back to the doctor.

bubblemama2164
by Beth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM

bump

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM
If cold lasts longer than 10days take to pedi. Keep a cool mist humidifier running at all times. Steam in bathroom. Vicks baby rub on bottom of feet n cover with socks. Keep room cool not stuffy. J&J makes a baby vapor bath. Saline nose spray to get rid of boogers. Other than that nothing but wait it out. Colds are viruses. Be careful b/c it can turn into something n need meds. Hope he feels better soon!!!
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
For a cough....look for difficulty breathing or if tummy/chest gets sunken in when breathing. If cough is wet n productive that is good. A dry n tight cough is bad! Does he sound like a seal barking? Or his chest rattle when breathing?
bubblemama2164
by Beth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He is doing good during the day he coughs a wet cough but here and there and it gets worse at night and has been waking him up, it use to be a dry tight cough but now its breaking up is what the pedi told me on monday but seems to be getting worse since then. We go back monday to see them again to see if its getting worse if he gets a fever or infection symptoms i have to bring him in before that

Quoting rHOPEb:

For a cough....look for difficulty breathing or if tummy/chest gets sunken in when breathing. If cough is wet n productive that is good. A dry n tight cough is bad! Does he sound like a seal barking? Or his chest rattle when breathing?

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Try to prop up at night. Night n early morning will be the worst times :( Do you have a humidifier? If not, get one. Very important to keep air cool n moist. Sounds like he's getting better.....it will sound awful but as long as its wet you are good. He may even throw up n that is better b/c that is getting the mucus out. Just keep close eye in him. Coughs are no fun n very scary!!!

Quoting bubblemama2164:

He is doing good during the day he coughs a wet cough but here and there and it gets worse at night and has been waking him up, it use to be a dry tight cough but now its breaking up is what the pedi told me on monday but seems to be getting worse since then. We go back monday to see them again to see if its getting worse if he gets a fever or infection symptoms i have to bring him in before that

Quoting rHOPEb:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would maybe go back to the DR.

fionnula
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I would also go back to the dr.  You need to be very careful of RSV, especially in babies.  I did everything I could to keep my son from getting it, and he did anyway, when he was about 1.  They need to make sure there is no wheezing.  I needed to give him breathing treatments:(. And he wasn't even that bad.  Luckily I took him in early.  I also do the humidifier and the Vicks on the feet and chest.

And for a runny nose, I got The Snot Sucker!  Gross name, but it does exactly that!  No bulb up the nose that is nasty to clean out.  I totally recommend it!!  Got it on amazon. 

Good luck, I hope he is better soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)