Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

emergency vs. planned csection

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:37 AM
  • 22 Replies

How is it done differently? Are different pain meds given? With my son they gave me paradise( a lower dose of the epidural) b/c they assumed I'd have him vaginally like my first. Shortly after he ran out of air b/c of placenta issues, so they also gave me morphine, then they rushed me down to the or and took him out. This time I'm having a scheduled one. I'm not going to get an epidural and morphine again, right?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't give you morphine, since it's usually for recovery pain. I would just ask them what the protocol will be.... some hospitals do epi's for csections, some do spinals. Mine was an emergency and I was given a spinal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubblemama2164
by Beth on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I was given a spinal both times i beleive that is what most use for a scheduled c section and for an emergency they might use a epidural if you are already laboring and had an epidural placed before hand

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I had an epidural with one of mine and the spinal with the rest. I got morphine with all of them but the last, they gave me something similar that was much better.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Morphine? I would not be comfortable with that at all...

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM

From what I have heard from those who have had emergency C's, it's different pain meds, they sometimes have to knock you out, and they cut differently (planned goes slower, they can be more precise). For a planned one, I don't think you'd need morphine again and recover should be a bit easier. 

AmyParent
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I had an emergency and I just had a spinal. I don't know about planned ...
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Generally speaking a scheduled c-section is done with a spinal and many hospitals use duramorph in the spinal to provide extended pain control.

An unscheduled section, one that happens unexpectedly, may be done with the epidural if one is placed already.  They would just dose the epidural more to make it more effective.  If the epidural isn't working well and there is time...they would generally pull the epidural and then do a spinal.

If there is a true emergency and there isn't an epidural...usually mom goes under general.  If there is an emergency and there is an epidural they will usually try to dose that real quick and if it doesn't work...general.

There is a big difference between "emergency" and "unscheduled" though most moms believe they had an emergency c-section if they had one that wasn't expected.  They section may have been urgent but that's far different than emergent.

So if you are scheduling...you will likely have a spinal.  There will be all sorts of meds afterwards for pain control...morphine may be one used after the section and it is fine.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM
They do epidurals or spinals. Morphine is usually given by IV because it helps control pain ounce the epidural/spinal wears off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
this is my understanding, too.

Quoting Turtledoves:

From what I have heard from those who have had emergency C's, it's different pain meds, they sometimes have to knock you out, and they cut differently (planned goes slower, they can be more precise). For a planned one, I don't think you'd need morphine again and recover should be a bit easier. 

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Same.

Quoting AmyParent:

I had an emergency and I just had a spinal. I don't know about planned ...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)