Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does my LO overweight?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 26 Replies

His last check up was last friday Aug 16. Doctor said that my 9 month old son is  overweight. He is 29.5 in length, 27.9  in weight and he is 9 month and 1 week. Doctor advice us to just feed him just water at night because he still wakes 2-3 times/night and I tried to give just water but he wake up more often. I am not  going to give him just water at night. Finally just last night he slept thru the night, hopefully he will sleep thru the night every night

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I don't think the water is going to help. What is he drinking during the day? Is he drinking and eating large amounts at a time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deeden0
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM

He is dringking 6 oz of formula every 31/2 hrs and a rice cereal twice a day. For example:

5 a.m formula

8:30 a 6 oz of rice cereal with 1/2 oz of water (I gave him 1.5 oz of water but he only dring very little)

12:00 pm formula

3:30 p cereal

and so on.....

at night if he wake up I gave him 4 oz of formula ( last night for the first time was so great! he slept thru the night:)!!!!

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally I would cut out the rice cereal and start introducing veggies and fruits instead.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

6 oz every 3.5 hours is a lot of formula.  I would be making smaller bottles if he's going to eat every 3.5. hours.  Is that all he's eating?  Formula and rice cereal? I would stop the cereal.  It's just filling him up with empty calories.  If you're feeding solids, just feed normal food.  He's old enough.  Fruit cut up real small, steamed carrots cut up, avocado, maybe some yogurt or a piece of cheese.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I would quit the cereal and start giving him real food after every bottle. I'd also cut the size down an ounce or two. Mine was eating a snack after the first feeding, breakfast for the next feeding with me, a snack and then lunch and another snack before dinner. A fruit, a tiny bowl of veggies, half a sandwich... Since I always offered milk before food at that age, they got a cup of water but usually only had sips when their mouths got dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherJ501
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
My DS is 10 1/2 months. He has about 7 oz every 4 hours totaling at 28oz a day. Sometimes he has a 4 oz bottle at night. Now if you have been feeding a bottle every time he wakes up I would stop that.
I think you're okay on the formula part but I would cut out the rice cereal. Try oatmeal mixed with veggies. Also soft fruit and veggies cut up. My son is high on the growth charts but he has stayed at the same percentage since birth. So if your LO has at the same percent since birth I wouldn't worry. He's 9 months so formula every 3-4 hours is normal.
lauratupper
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Quoting waytomanykids10:

Personally I would cut out the rice cereal and start introducing veggies and fruits instead.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, that's well off the top of the chart for weight-for-height, anything over 85% is considered at risk and over the top of the chart is overweight.  I would really be stopping the cereal, all you are adding is starches that just get converted to fat.  fresh fruits and veggies or pureed if you'd rather are better choices.  at that height a high but more normal weight would be 24ish pounds.  while overweight babies don't necessarily mean overweight children and adults, it does increase their risk of this being a problem as they get older. 

Char06
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Agree with the others 

jakesmom323
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
My 12 month old is 20 lbs. and 29 inches. He is 50% for height. It sounds like your little one is going to be tall;) My guy is lean but my first was big and he is not obese. Follow your mommy instincts and make an appt. With a dietician or get a second opinion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)