Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

New here and need help with my five month old

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi my daugter turned 5 months today ! :D but im having some dufficulties with her since she was three months and a half.
First it all started with the swaddle, she didnt want to but if she wasnt swaddle she would startled and eventually wake herself up, every 45 mins. We tried just swaddling her legs only but then she started to startled and then putting her hands on her face following by waking up .
When she outgrew the startled she was sleeping a little better, she started to sleep again like what she used to (8:00 to 2:00 am) but once she woke it would take almost two hours to put her back to sleep, this was accompanied by arching her back,grunting or simply eyes wide open, this behavior stuck with us for two weeks.
Then she started to not sleep well.. Period, bedtime was 8 she would wake up 9, then 11, then 1 and then it again it would take me an hour to two to put her back to sleep.
They told me about wonder week 19 so i thought it was a phase, but i honestly feel it has gotten worse.. Now she sleeps with us (thats not the problem) i ebf and so she goes to bed like that but, she starting to startle again.. Waking up and sometimes not even bf helps anymore, when i put her down she starts to grunt and push, once i pick her up ahe is fine BUT she wont go to sleep like that, i have tried putting her in the crib and just pat her shuush her, but she starts to squirm follow bu grunting etc. Even when she sleeps with me she wakes up and sometimes wont fall as sleep easy it can take me 45 mins as well .. And then she is up by 5:30.
Naps.. Last week ahe slept three hours she did thisfor 3 days, the only thing is that she slept on the car seat :/. Yesterday for some reason it wasnt the same she woke up 20 mins after that it was a mess .. Right now i finally got her to "nap" on her car seat BUT she moves so much and is opening her eyes like she is going to wake up anytime, she hasnt take any nap until now.. She woke up at 6 am.
I feel like she is nervous or too hyper ( new mom here) and im just overhelm with this, i feel i can't help her because nothing works, not even the car which a lot of people swear by it. Even when she finally falls as sleep ahe put her hands in face like rubbing her eyes..
She weights 19 pounds, i honestly dont think hunger is an issue, can someone give me some advice if this happen to your baby and to you? I need some enlightment and hope .
Thank you and sorry about grammar and how long it is.
:,(

*I asked the ped and he said thats when they usually fight sleep :/, i also have the wedge for the crib so her head is elavated, but i will talk to her again.
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mrs.Velasquez
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Has the pedi checked her for acid reflex ?? Arching of the back, and not sleeping I heard are a common sign. I don't have experience with that, so i can't be sure. Maybe she is under stimulated or over stimulated.
Amala650
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hey congrats,even i am a new mum and my baby is going to be 7 month this week.I can understand what u r saying.Even my baby use to do that.

I use to wrap her in swaddle blanket till 2 months and than after that i put her night jumpsuit so that she can b comfortable.So no more tightning her in that blanket.She feels free to move her hand but yes there was time where she had lots of reflexes.But as time went by those reflexes also went off,thank god!

Later as she was growning she hardly use to tk a nap.But i dont force to sleep,Coz when there body is not tired than they will sleep.Forcing them to sleep makes it more worse.

Why dont u give hot oil massage over her whole body and after 15 -20 min give her a warm shower and feed her.I am sure she will like it and fall asleep.

But if this doesnt work u can always call ur doc and find out!

lauratupper
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Has the pedi checked her for acid reflex ?? Arching of the back, and not sleeping I heard are a common sign. I don't have experience with that, so i can't be sure. Maybe she is under stimulated or over stimulated.

Tangie16
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I wouldnt mind if she didnt take naps, the problem is that she gets tired and starts to het cranky and she is very intense (lol) so there is no way i can let be without a nap or two for the day
fionnula
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I live by the book Healthy sleep habits, Happy baby.  I used it for my 10 year old when he was a baby and now for our new guy!  A lot of the times we are not putting them down to sleep at the right time.  The window for them to fall asleep is so small, so it will take a week or two, but you should be able to get it.  Key is to stick with the routine!  I have 2 great sleepers, both were sleeping thru the night by 2 months.  By that I mean, they slept/sleep about 12 hours each night.  Babies need sleep to grow, so it is very important that they get good rest.  And for you too, so YOU can rest!  Good luck!

abra
by Abra on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I second this. You need to make sure nothing is wrong before trying to get her into new sleep routines. Welcome to the group, too!

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)