Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

SAHM question

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 87 Replies
2 moms liked this

I want to work. All my mom friend's work. I have a master's degree and am very driven as far as achievement. But the thing is, I just can't leave my 19 month old in another's care 10 hours a day. He needs me. Also my husband works shift work so I'd never see him.

Do any other stay at home moms feel like this? Like they want to work, but because they want to give their child the best care possible, they know they can't? What do you do with that feeling? I read the http://daycaresdontcare.org/ about a year ago and that was encouraging.

PS I also have no family in the area so that makes it even harder.

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope, sorry.  I find staying home with my kids very fulfilling.

Hope you can figure something out. 

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I chose to work the shift work so hubby could be with the kids at night.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never been the mom that felt that the best care possible only came from me. yes I was picky on looking for a daycare/sitter, but I had no problem leaving my child once I found someone I was comfortable with. I wish I could work right now. we decided it was best to stay home because the price of daycare would take my whole check and leave me with nothing still, So I am staying home and furthering my education. I will try again when we PCS

Brycensmommy85
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I feel your pain I worked a very well paying job then was a SAHM and now I work again after my divorce. I loved being at home with my son I too couldn't bare to have him in daycare. I did use a nanny for awhile but it was still agonizing. He is four now and I have to work but given the choice is stay home until he goes to school next year. I think being at home when they are babies is best. Just relax and be a mom you can get back to work when he's older and doesn't need you as much. Just know you are just as hard a worker if not more as a SAHM. It used to be normal for moms to stay home and now people look at you like you're a loser. When my son was a baby my uncle actually said " so when are you going to get a job?" I was floored my then husband made plenty of money to pay the bills so I just said I have a job I'm a mother. I hope that helps good luck!
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, i think a lot of moms struggle with that. It gets easier as they get older and busier and there's more to get involved in.

Is there any side work you can do within your field? A girlfriend of mine has her masters in graphic design and she teaches online classes once a week, does holiday card designs for a website and also does a blog.

Even not within your field, find something you are passionate about and pursue it. Being a full time mom doesn't mean you can't have anything for yourself.

Additionally, have you joined any playgroups, etc... That.definitely ups the rewards for sahms, and many do a lot of charity projects which can be very fulfilling.
cecilyloring
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Exactly! People look down at you (or patronizely say, oh that's nice, but I have more career goals.) Which I suppose there may be a mom or two out there that just stay at home because they can't think of anything better to do with their life. But that really isn't the reason most moms do it.

Quoting Brycensmommy85:

I feel your pain I worked a very well paying job then was a SAHM and now I work again after my divorce. I loved being at home with my son I too couldn't bare to have him in daycare. I did use a nanny for awhile but it was still agonizing. He is four now and I have to work but given the choice is stay home until he goes to school next year. I think being at home when they are babies is best. Just relax and be a mom you can get back to work when he's older and doesn't need you as much. Just know you are just as hard a worker if not more as a SAHM. It used to be normal for moms to stay home and now people look at you like you're a loser. When my son was a baby my uncle actually said " so when are you going to get a job?" I was floored my then husband made plenty of money to pay the bills so I just said I have a job I'm a mother. I hope that helps good luck!

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I feel the same way. My dd is one now & I want to go back to work but I don't want to leave her with someone else all day. I think it will be beneficial for her when she's alittle older (like mabey 3) but not right now.

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I work at home. I work part time doing child care. I stared a little over two years ago. When we needed money. Know it is extra cash. That we use for fun and savings.

But I love being home with my children. Before we had children. I had worked as a Nanny and in Child care centers.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Why ten hours at a time?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)