Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to work. All my mom friend's work. I have a master's degree and am very driven as far as achievement. But the thing is, I just can't leave my 19 month old in another's care 10 hours a day. He needs me. Also my husband works shift work so I'd never see him.

Do any other stay at home moms feel like this? Like they want to work, but because they want to give their child the best care possible, they know they can't? What do you do with that feeling? I read the http://daycaresdontcare.org/ about a year ago and that was encouraging.

PS I also have no family in the area so that makes it even harder.

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Replies (81-87):
MsDeb2
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hi!

That's exactly why I started earning from home. Now with so many business opportunites offering "Done For You" Marketing Systems, all you have to do is advertise and earn a good income while staying home with your daughter. #1 Priority!

Hopes this helps. 

MsDeb2

NicoleMB
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you so much for your information.  I currently attempt to "sell" Undercover Wear, which works exactly as those pyramid schemes.  As I have no out of pocket costs with it now (after signing up of course), I still keep my website open, but it really is for my benefit of 50% off.  I will look into the writing jobs you speak of.  Thank you again!

navywife0620
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Well here's my opinion and advice coming from a navy wife, mother of two and previous daycare worker...daycare's REALLY don't care. I worked in the daycare system for a couple years while obtaining my first degree, I had some children come in at 6 and not leave until 6 that night. The parents always expressed how they felt bad about leaving their child in our care for so long. As a childcare provider, we completely understand. Most of us have kids where do you think they are for the 8-12 hours we're watching your child? The fact is most children especially around the toddler age love daycare. They have fun interacting with friends, doing crafts, and learning. I have a newborn and the short time my 2 yr old stayed home with me, she was going stir crazy from not being at daycare. As parents we feel noone can do as good of a job at taking care of them as ourselves, which in some sense is true but your a human, you need to make yourself happy too. I am a paramedic and work 12 hr shifts, while my hubby (who is an MA in the navy) works a crazy 16 hr shift. Sometimes nights,sometimes days, and weekends. We've found that as a couple, we're happier together when we both are happy with our personal life. I worked hard for my degree and he had worked hard for his achievements, along this time its been hard because we can go a while without seeing or spending much time together. However, when we do get to spend QT with each other we cherish it more. I still spend a ton of time with my children as well, they are on routines at home as well as at school and i've never seen any evidence of distress because of our work life. My children are very happy and loving, even if in daycare for 10-12 hours at a time. I tried the stay at home thing for a bit but realized I'm a better mom and wife when I'm happy doing what I worked for.
aimesnyc
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That site is BS.  My SIL runs a daycare and she cares about/loves every child in her care.  Ridiculous.

Armywifsupermom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been there and completely understand. I'm a sahm of two kids and an still young. I want to feel like I can work and contribute but to be honest your degree and ambition can wait. You are honestly working the hardest job there is and your right your son needs you. The feeling of someone else raising your child will only lead to regret and you can have some pride in knowing that you taught him everything you know. There will be days where you just need a break and want to get away so hire a babysitter so watch him so you can run an errand or have an hour of you time. When he goes to school than go to work. It won't be so bad than. Good luck !! And remember your not alone in feeling t his way
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Omg I'd go insane if I had to stay at home. We work opposite shifts to minimize the time dd spends away from one of us. She stays with MIL or my mom though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlyEliz
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I'm a stay at home mom too but I'm also a single mom and I live with my Dad and 16 yr old sister. I only have a GED so getting a job that would be able to pay for daycare and gas and still have income would be impossible! I really need something I can do from home!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)