Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Own or rent?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 42 Replies
Do you own or rent and are you happy with what you do? Why or why not?

Hubby wants to buy a house but I say we are better off renting due to all the things that go wrong with houses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

own!  i would never rent again unless i absolutly had to renting is just throwing money away and paying for someone elses mortgage, prop taxes, and homeowners insurance why not put it towards equity of your own.

mylilprincesses
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM

we are renting..love my house!  my husband said he wants to be stable in his job for about 5yrs before we buy.

the one good thing is you don't have to worry about someone being over you.

one bad thing being anything that breaks you fix.

charley31
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
We own. I love owning. There's pros and cons to everything but for me it's best to own.
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

we rent. although we are seriously starting to think about buying a house very soon. like in the next year or two. I love renting. I love just being able to call the landlord if anything goes wrong. we know exactly what our monthly expenses are with renting. nothing unexpected to come up. however, we are a family of 4 in a tiny 2 bedroom apt. its very tight. and the kids have no yard to run and play in. we need the extra room. as much as I love renting, buying a house makes more sense for us at this time in our lives. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

We own, I wouldn't want it any other way. It just feels more stable and secure to me, and we don't have to deal with anyone else. To me, renting feels like tossing away money. I'd rather put it towards a managable mortgage. 

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Right now we rent and i'm not happy with it but right now we can't afford to buy a house.

birdiemom
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM
We own our home. When we started the process, we were surprised to be able to find a home we can grow into in our price range. We threw money away for many years renting, but the rent was so cheap we were able to save to buy our home. I like the house, love the area and property. We bought for location and the yard.
ablackdolphin
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We rented for a VERY long time to save up for a house. 

I've had a few houses of my own in the past and finally got sick of being house poor.  Many people forget the added costs a house brings.  Property taxes, homeowners insurance, lawn care, extra water, extra electric, extra gas, pest & termite control, snow removal, garbage, etc.  Then there is the upkeep and repair (new carpet, new roof, painting, etc) then add the fact that most people buy something new when they move in.  Curtains, furniture, wall hangings, etc.

Compare all that to your annual rent and then add the mortgage costs and interest and closing costs.

We agreed that unless we could afford a 15 yr mtg, we should not buy!

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM
We bought a new construction 4 years ago. While I've liked that until this summer we haven't needed to do home repairs (just normal maintenence), we're still constantly finding projects (mostly in our yard) to keep us busy and get things more to our liking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Own and I would never rent again!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN