Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sleeping On My Chest - Habit Forming?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 34 Replies
My daughter just turned one month old two days ago. Sometimes the only way I can get her to sleep is if she's laying on my chest. If I do this too often will she get to the point where she won't sleep any other way?

Also, the bassinet part of the pack n play cradles her a little since it has more of a V shape and I'm afraid that if I use that for sleeping at night instead of the bassinet that she'll get used to feeling cradled/snug and won't sleep on a flat surface. I've tried swaddling her in the bassinet but it doesn't seem to work. Is the comfort of the pack n play bassinet something that she'll get too used to?

I guess I'm just afraid of forming habits that will prevent her from sleeping in her crib within the next few weeks/months (whenever we move her from the bassinet in our room to the crib in the nursery).

Thank you in advance!
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy16632
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
My son is 5 weeks old n most days he has to b on my chest to fall asleep and he hates sleeping in his bassinet. He's a major cudler. The only time I can get him to sleep on his back by himself his at night when he gets really tired. You just gotta keep working with her to sleep on her own.

Quoting FSUSeminoleGirl:

My daughter just turned one month old two days ago. Sometimes the only way I can get her to sleep is if she's laying on my chest. If I do this too often will she get to the point where she won't sleep any other way?

Also, the bassinet part of the pack n play cradles her a little since it has more of a V shape and I'm afraid that if I use that for sleeping at night instead of the bassinet that she'll get used to feeling cradled/snug and won't sleep on a flat surface. I've tried swaddling her in the bassinet but it doesn't seem to work. Is the comfort of the pack n play bassinet something that she'll get too used to?

I guess I'm just afraid of forming habits that will prevent her from sleeping in her crib within the next few weeks/months (whenever we move her from the bassinet in our room to the crib in the nursery).

Thank you in advance!

EWJensen
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM
When my baby was that old it seemed like it took me forever to get her to stay asleep once I put her in the bassinet. I would try 2 or 3 times and she would keep waking up. I got to the point where I would have to have her sleeping on me till she was in a deep enough sleep for her to stay when I put her down. Some nights she slept in bed with me. But she eventually grew out of it. And I also tried having her sleep on her stomach instead and I think she liked that better.
ajdahd13
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Try laying her on her back and keeping your hand on her chest. Maybe that'll give the same comfort.

Also, do you swaddle her? That worked for my girls.
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
My ds slept on my chest all the time or grandma's while I was at work til he was too heavy too. Then he was moved to our arm we're a very co-sleeping friendly family.
FSUSeminoleGirl
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM

As soon as I put her down after she's been asleep a while she wakes up. :-/

Quoting EWJensen:

When my baby was that old it seemed like it took me forever to get her to stay asleep once I put her in the bassinet. I would try 2 or 3 times and she would keep waking up. I got to the point where I would have to have her sleeping on me till she was in a deep enough sleep for her to stay when I put her down. Some nights she slept in bed with me. But she eventually grew out of it. And I also tried having her sleep on her stomach instead and I think she liked that better.

FSUSeminoleGirl
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Tried the hand thing and swaddling...cries as soon as she hits the mat and doesn't stop. :-/

Quoting ajdahd13:

Try laying her on her back and keeping your hand on her chest. Maybe that'll give the same comfort.

ajdahd13
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Oh. I'm sorry :(

Just keep reminding yourself "this won't last long"

Quoting FSUSeminoleGirl:

Tried the hand thing and swaddling...cries as soon as she hits the mat and doesn't stop. :-/

Quoting ajdahd13:

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM

*Eventually* yeah, it would become a habit.  But not at this age.  And not for several more months.  At this age, you do what you need to do to get them to sleep.  Newborns don't like to sleep alone.  It's a biological thing.

cnoelc
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM

This made me tear up a little.  Because my daughter was a meth baby and was seven weeks premature, the doctors and case workers had us do what is referred to as kangaroo cuddling.  We weren't allowed to let her sleep in our bed (even if we wanted to) since she was our foster daughter, so I spent the first three years of her life in a recliner with her sleeping on my bare chest.  Once she was ready, she transferred just fine.  I think it depends a lot on the baby.  And what a sweet habit, anyway :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM
My second son slept on my chest at first. I slowly transitioned him. He slept on my chest the first few weeks, then I slept with him in my arms, then I just put my hand on his chest, then I kept my hand on his chest but he slept on his boppy next to me, then I just slept close to the boppy. Once he started rolling I took the boppy away. He was transitioned to his crib by 9 months with no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN