Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we had a lactation consultant come this morning- my baby is 6 weeks old- who is 100% sure that my little Lea has silent acid reflux (reflux without all the vomiting)- she has barely been eating and jsut cyring non-stop and shows all the typial signs of reflux, so we are happy to finally have a "diagnosis".

we went straight to the dr who gave us a zantac perscription. the problem is she won't swallow the zantac! what are the tricks you other mamas have used to get ur baby to swallow it? i am desperate!

also, what other methods have you used to help your reflux baby?

thank u!!

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My DD had reflux. So did my DS. I cut out caffeine, limited dairy and burped baby more frequently. I also propped baby up after eating but compared to other posts I've read, I think my babies only had a mild case.

mylilprincesses
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

all of my 3 girls where born with acid reflux and my first two where on zantac but it was rough on their tummies.. with my 3rd girl the gripe water worked much better.

Quoting seaturtle1:

Grip water is so good because the things in there are so calming and gentle to the tummy. I worry with the zantac that the tummy gets used to it and then does not learn to fix it's self. I know some kids have to have it though.
Quoting mylilprincesses:

we use gripe water.

seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Zantac can also take away all of the good bacteria in the stomach as it eats all the bad acid. It might be a good idea to give your girls probiotics every day to put all that good stuff back. Your stomach they say is your ammune sp system. Just a tought. Have a wondeful day.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

all of my 3 girls where born with acid reflux and my first two where on zantac but it was rough on their tummies.. with my 3rd girl the gripe water worked much better.

Quoting seaturtle1:

Grip water is so good because the things in there are so calming and gentle to the tummy. I worry with the zantac that the tummy gets used to it and then does not learn to fix it's self. I know some kids have to have it though.
Quoting mylilprincesses:

we use gripe water.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Did you rule forceful letdown/oversupply and/or dairy allergy? Reflux is ridiculously over diagnosed, especially with breastfed babies because doctors and even some LC's have very little breastfeeding knowledge, and it's usually *not* actual reflux.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kryysteez
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The problem started after she got some vaccines, right?  Vaccines do some nasty things to babies and according to the vaccine package insert, excessive crying is a contradiction and vaccines must be delayed or discontinued permanently.  You need to research and you will see that they are loaded with toxic ingredients that make babies VERY uncomfortable.  Non-vaccinated babies are happy and healthy.  Its only common sense.

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Just put it far down her throat and blow in her face a little. I know sounds mean but that's how I handled my daughters 13 years ago. She had it really bad. She had a test ran on her in the hospital to confirm it since it was so bad.

coffeemom37043
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I saw the doctor put her one oral vaccine in her mouth and then rub underneath her chin where her tounge is. It made her swallow

Hafsa1
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
ds had this and he was put on prevacid. They did a liquid form and added flavoring to it for me (rite aide does this, not sure about other pharmacy). If the flavoring wasn't added it would taste like crushed aspirin, gross. see if you can get flavoring
LuckyNLoved
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Fisher price has a bassinet type thing that you can let the baby sleep in and it was a lifesaver with my reflux baby. It was the only place other tha my arms that he would peacefully sleep. As for the medicine, my son never really liked it, but after awhile, I think he knew that the medicine was what was making him feel better, so we had to stick it in the back and to the side but he really never gave us much of a problem. His pedi also said that a lot of babies out grow the reflux with time. My son was on zantac from 5 months to nine months where the doctor recommended we see how he did without it. He hasn't taken it since, and he turned 11 months yesterday. Good luck with your baby girl.
MichelleM14
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thank you everyone!

For those who asked- I am also cutting out milk from my diet to help with the problem. It has jsut been an absolute nightmare and I am really starting to lose it. My Lea has not eaten properly in weeks bc she has a bad association with eating bc of the way it makes her feel, so every time is a struggle and there are lots of tears...from both of us!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)