Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I have always been fascinated with other cultures esp when it come to birth and babies. I love to find out different ways babies are brought into this world and celebrated. I think its pretty interesting. Like in Ghana they bury the placenta and in Indonesia the mother is massaged daily for the first 90 days. In some cultures the mother must jump over the baby a certain amount of times and then relatives scream at the baby and shake it on a tray. Still other cultures seclude the mother and baby for 30 or 40 days and then the baby comes out and is introduced to the family. Another culture immediately puts a piece of jewelry on the baby that has a red stone in it to ward off evil spirits. 

Does your family have any birth customs or traditions? Did you follow those customs and traditions? What do you think of them? 

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

In the Maharashtra state of India, it is common practice to toss newborn babies off the side of a 15-meter tall temple. Observed for half a millennium, this ritual is believed to strengthen the children, give them good luck well into adulthood as well as “courage and intelligence.”

It’s worth mentioning the babies do not fall to the ground (naturally), as followers are standing by with a large sheet to catch them.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm moving!!! Those are some smart people.

Quoting lostosbourne:

BULGARIA AND LITHUANIA HAVE UP TO TWO YEARS PAID MATERNITY LEAVE

Bulgaria pays 100 percent maternity leave for the first year and the minimum salary for the second. 

Lithuania pays one year at 100 percent, or two years at 70 percent for the first 52 weeks, then 40 percent for the rest. Either the mother or father can take it, or they can do the leave in shifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

In Navajo culture, the first time a baby laughs is considered a significant event. It marks the child's transition from the spirit world to the physical world, apparently, and a party is held to celebrate. Should you find yourself on a Navajo reservation, make sure you’re not the one to make the baby laugh. You’ll be responsible for throwing the party and footing the bill.

lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

In many Muslim cultures, a sheep is sacrificed and the baby’s head shaved on the seventh day of its life. The sacrifice is called 'aqiqah'. After the sacrifice, the baby's hair is shaved and weighed, with the weight of this hair in silver given to charity.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM
We don't have any. we just give birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I forgot that!
We had a butcher do it for our kids. 1/3 is given to charity. The rest to family and friends.
We also didn't shave their heads. We just gave to charity.
And in DHs culture they do what has been posted in other replies: sitting in for 40 days and just taking care of baby. The womans mom comes or the woman goes to her parents.
After I had DD DH asked when my mom wa coming. I said she wasn't, he freaked! Lol.
Tried to get me to let his friends mom come stay. It was just unheard of to him that I would be doing everything alone! But no way I can sit in bed for 40 days!

Quoting lostosbourne:

In many Muslim cultures, a sheep is sacrificed and the baby’s head shaved on the seventh day of its life. The sacrifice is called 'aqiqah'. After the sacrifice, the baby's hair is shaved and weighed, with the weight of this hair in silver given to charity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Baby showers are not given in Turkey. All celebration is postponed until after the baby is born. According to Ahu Terzi, who emigrated from Turkey to New York City, mother and baby stay home for the first 20 days after the birth. Friends drop by and drink a special beverage called lohusa serbeti. After this period, the mother and child make return visits to gift-givers' homes, where they receive a handkerchief filled with a single egg (for a healthy baby) and candy (for a good-natured baby). They also rub flour on the baby's eyebrows and hairline, which is supposed to grant him a long life.

lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The whole sitting in bed for 40 days and having help would be nice lol. Esp if you had complications or a very difficult birth. But yeah I would probably go stir crazy sitting there for that long while everyone waited on me lol.

Quoting MIA0223:

I forgot that!
We had a butcher do it for our kids. 1/3 is given to charity. The rest to family and friends.
We also didn't shave their heads. We just gave to charity.
And in DHs culture they do what has been posted in other replies: sitting in for 40 days and just taking care of baby. The womans mom comes or the woman goes to her parents.
After I had DD DH asked when my mom wa coming. I said she wasn't, he freaked! Lol.
Tried to get me to let his friends mom come stay. It was just unheard of to him that I would be doing everything alone! But no way I can sit in bed for 40 days!

Quoting lostosbourne:

lostosbourne
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

In my family we all use the same bassinet and christening gown for all of our babies. Also in our family the first person to find the baby's first tooth has to buy their first pair of shoes. 

wedding countdown

Audi AKA The Lost Osbourne

expectantmom81
by Erin on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
This

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Interesting, no none in my family

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)