Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pumping question

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

Lemme start by saying my lil'lady is three weeks today and I couldn't possibly be more in love! I remember finding out I was pregnant and all I could think was God what am i going to do, I don't like babies (I prefer toddlers) lbs. Never did I belive that I would feel different about my own child but I do! Anyways my question, I started combination feeding so my baby is getting both breast milk and formula. It started last week with her growth support she was always hungryand I'm not pumping well. I was worried I wasn't producing enough. But then my mom mentioned that she could be nursing for comfort. So we tried pacifires and we have yet to find one she'll take. I'm open to suggestions. but to get back on topic could it be the pump? I was given a single electric Evenflo pump. Anyways I leaks lots at night constant flow and sometimes when our latch breaks I spray my daughters face lol. So I know I have milk but when pumping i have the pump on the "Max" setting and i get these slow pace drips about .5oz in 20minutes but i have to squeese my breast to get that. So could the problem be the pump? what pump do you ladies use? I pump mainly because I don't wake her for feedings but I'm going back to work soon and I want this issue resolved. I'm not anti formula but I rather supply her milk.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM
That is a terrible pump. 3 weeks is a growth spurt. If you're changing 6 diapers a day then supply is fine. Join the breastfeeding group.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

My son nurses for comfort, he refused the pacifier since birth, double pumps are better and the best I've used is Medela. Are you on WIC? The women at our WIC office are awesome, they are so nice and so supportive, and if you need a good pump they will lend you one. I was able to get a Medela Pump in Style free from my insurance, but WIC has the hospital grade pumps. You can PM me any time if you like, good luck!

by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
My daughter only takes the gumdrop silicone pacifiers. I ebf for three months, it was hard. I do agree the medela pumps are the best, but even with those I had to have it replaced twice. The whole thing was overwhelming, and we ended up switching to formula. Good luck.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Number 1, terrible pump from what I've heard, I believe it's often called the evil flow pump...

Number 2, get rid of the formula! Growth spurts are hell, don't get me wrong, but they are what tell your body to make more milk. If you replace that constant nursing with a pacifier or formula, your body isn't getting the message.

Growth spurts are pretty awful! You'll feel like your never getting a break. Even if baby is only comfort nursing, it's still stimulating to you and telling your body to ramp up production. As long as diaper output is good, baby is getting enough. I once had a day with my son that was screaming or nursing for several hours in a row... It sucked, but it's pretty normal for that growth spurt! They get easier, just hang in there!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Oh also, if your pumping in addition to feeding, .5 - 2 ounces total is fantastic output!! The evenflow pump isn't considered a good pump because it has caused damage I believe... I haven't used that one so I have no personal experience with it. I use a medela and love it!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Like everyone has already said, the pump is a horrible one. I had (most likely) the same with my first and could never keep up pumping with him. My advice would be to see if you can get one through WIC or even check with your insurance company. Under the health bill that was passed last year, insurance companies are required to cover the cost of a pump (however, they might say they only cover maunal ones). 
Also remember that breastfeeding is very much so a supply and demand system. If you supplement you are telling your body that it is making enough. The easiest ways to increase your supply is to nurse baby often. And once baby is done eating (or when you pump) let the pump run for a few minutes after you reach the point where you are getting nothing so that your body will get the message to produce more. 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You should really get rid of the formula. Every time that you give baby a bottle of formula, you are telling your body you don't need to make milk during those times. Plus, BFing is SO much easier when it comes to growth spurts! Baby is often fussy during those times and when he/she does get fussy, you just put them to the breast! And nursing often during growth spurts is a great way to build your supply

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I have a 300$ pump and don't get much. Luckily I don't work so I just nurse on demand. Try not to use formula unless its absolutely necessary and you have no milk. When you are with the baby nurse on demand. Good luck.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I pumped when I went back to baby is 11 months old and he is still breastfed. Medula worked the best for us, and I have tried probably all the pumps on the market! lol After using this pump I never switched again!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I would suggest Medela pump, it works wonder when your pumping and it does not cause soreness on your breast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)