Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I'm so scared she'll choke!

My DD is only 4 months old but we are starting to think about how we want to proceed with starting solids. Right now she is ebf and a lot of the moms in the breastfeeding group say they went straight to table food.

I just have so many questions

Some have said to wait 9months-1 year to starts solids - Which is it?

Some skipped jarred foods -  Why? Did you?

If you do table foods, is there certain stuff to not offer at first? Or can they have anything?

How do I know when she is ready to start eating little chunks of food? (I know thats probably not until 1+)

What do I do if she chokes?! That is my WORST fear. Her choking. What do I do??? I don't know the baby heimleick!

If we do jarred foods, do I start with just fruits & veggies? Or do I offer meats too? I've heard to start with just fruits and veggies but then others say no, to introduce meat too.

I'm not ready for this stage yet =[

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Replies (31-32):
kcash2
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM
My kids were on formula. Both my peditritions for both my kids told me to start with cereal. To get them used to the spoon I think. Just to water it down with breast milk or formula.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting kcash2:

I started at 6 months with my oldest and the doctor wanted us to try at 5 with my youngest but she was not interested in it at all. It really depends on the baby. I think they want you to start with green vegetables and then yellow and then fruits. My kids never liked it but cereal is good to start with.

Actually cereal isn't a good starting "food". Baby's dont have the necessary enzyme to digest it properly. Also, for a bf baby, the iron in it hinders the iron in moms milk from absorbing properly making the baby anemic.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
One think that all parents should know that is if baby is coughing they are not choking.
If baby is choking flip them upside down I've you lap and pat baby on the back firmly.

I just started him on soft food. Even crushed up meat is fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)