Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 week old breastfed baby not pooping?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
He hasnt pooped in 2 days, almost 3. He has been eating good and has plenty of wet diapers (forget 6... more like 12) but im still concerned because he used to poop a couple times a day.

Is this normal?
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Yes. It's normal as long as he passes gas, doesn't have a hard tummy and when he does poop it's soft and doesn't look like rabbit poop-hard and formed. Bf babies don't get constipated.
lauratupper
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Completely normal, breastfed babies can go up to 2 weeks without pooping, it's because everything in the milk gets absorbed in the body so there really isn't much waste.

jesuschild06
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
i bf and thaddy gets constipated every time i eat hotdogs. Hell go a few days without pooping and be in a lot of pain. Even though he still passes gas. Its been 3 times.... I dont eat hotdogs anymore. Usually the 3rd day out from eating a hot dog hell finally have a blow out and no longer will be crabby.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Yes. It's normal as long as he passes gas, doesn't have a hard tummy and when he does poop it's soft and doesn't look like rabbit poop-hard and formed. Bf babies don't get constipated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Normal
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Normal.
PEEK05
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is normal.

rosewind13
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep :) My DD is the same way. She poops about once a week. There just isn't a lot of waste with breastmilk :) Enjoy it! lol. It will completely change when you start adding solids.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jesuschild06:

i bf and thaddy gets constipated every time i eat hotdogs. Hell go a few days without pooping and be in a lot of pain. Even though he still passes gas. Its been 3 times.... I dont eat hotdogs anymore. Usually the 3rd day out from eating a hot dog hell finally have a blow out and no longer will be crabby.

Quoting Junebaby18:Yes. It's normal as long as he passes gas, doesn't have a hard tummy and when he does poop it's soft and doesn't look like rabbit poop-hard and formed. Bf babies don't get constipated.

If he has a blow out, then he's not constipated. He may have just not liked the nitrates and stuff in the hotdogs. I dont blame him though. I get a stomach ache when I eat hotdogs too. Constipation is when you poop hard formed poop, like rabbit poop.
jesuschild06
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

hmmmm, maybe so..... all I was craving for a while was hotdogs (which is weird because usually I dont like them) so I was sad I couldnt have them because it did mess with his poop cycle. One that made him fussy and in pain. 

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting jesuschild06:

Quoting Junebaby18:Yes. It's normal as long as he passes gas, doesn't have a hard tummy and when he does poop it's soft and doesn't look like rabbit poop-hard and formed. Bf babies don't get constipated.

If he has a blow out, then he's not constipated. He may have just not liked the nitrates and stuff in the hotdogs. I dont blame him though. I get a stomach ache when I eat hotdogs too. Constipation is when you poop hard formed poop, like rabbit poop.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:24 AM
totally normal, between 4 and 6 weeks your colostrum is gone, it contain a substance that acted as a laxative and the baby will only poop when there is enough waste and pressure to. my oldest went 7-10 days, my middle went every other day and my youngest went every 3rd or 4th day... when they do finally go it will be a lot at once

Quoting daisybaby91:

He hasnt pooped in 2 days, almost 3. He has been eating good and has plenty of wet diapers (forget 6... more like 12) but im still concerned because he used to poop a couple times a day.

Is this normal?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)