Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

6 month old won't self soothe. Edit

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 22 Replies
Nathaniel is 6 months old, he is my 2nd and I don't do CIO. When he cries I get him. I did this with my oldest but he would self soothe by 5 months if I didn't get to him right away, like being in the car or I was in the shower. Not Nathaniel. Tonight we went to Walmart and on the way home he started fussing then full on crying. He refused to self soothe. He was overly tired because it took longer than planned at the store and we got caught in traffic. What can I do to help him self soothe in times I can't hold him?

Edit
Thanks for all the reassurance. We will just keep doing what we are doing and maybe one day he will self soothe, if not we will still survive.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tarakay0417
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Bump
skittlebeans88
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Pacifier?
tarakay0417
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I have tried he won't take one. He will suck on his thumb sometimes but not always.

Quoting skittlebeans88:

Pacifier?
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Nothing.  Really.  Not all babies self-soothe.  They just don't.  You do the best you can while you can't get to him, then pick him up as soon as you can.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Not all babies have that ability.   It's normal... you just have to soothe them when possible and bear it when not. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM
You can't compare kids. They will all be different. My oldest was pretty independent from 10 months, my second 18 months, and my third son relied on breastfeeding until I was forced to wean him at 22 months. I expect my next son to be a little more dependent because I will breastfeed him as well but you can't predict anything about them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM

that sounds pretty normal. My son actually hated being in the car, so anytime we were out for any amount of time he would scream his head off in his car seat. It got better after a few months, but he never "self soothed" in his car seat.

tarakay0417
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. I am glad this is normal behavior.
Radellia
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Mine doesn't either :) he'll be 7 months soon.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Most babies can't self-soothe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN