Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

First Foods

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 45 Replies

So I'm about to start dd on foods for the first time.  I want to try homemade baby foods and I have been gifted 2 different baby food making books.  One says to start with a vegetable, and the other says to start with a fruit.  So what did you start with and why?

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I always heard to start with veggies, so they don't get used to sweet things.

My lil girl is four months, I can't decide if I want to start her on cereal or just wait a few months for fruits and veggies.
CB3arr
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Well I will be doing cereal too.  DD is predisposed to celiacs disease and right now the research says to introduce them to gluten between 4-6 months.  I haven't heard that I have to start with it though.  It's confusing- I have so many questions about the gluten but there just isn't a lot of information out there concerning how to start babies on gluten.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013:

My lil girl is four months, I can't decide if I want to start her on cereal or just wait a few months for fruits and veggies.

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I think that is the hardest thing about having a child, everyone has an opinion, and no two are the same. I always feel I'm doing something the wrong way no matter how I do it.

Quoting CB3arr:

Well I will be doing cereal too.  DD is predisposed to celiacs disease and right now the research says to introduce them to gluten between 4-6 months.  I haven't heard that I have to start with it though.  It's confusing- I have so many questions about the gluten but there just isn't a lot of information out there concerning how to start babies on gluten.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013:

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I started with a vegetable. 

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I started with fruit and my son has never been picky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
We do
Baby led weaning. We don't offer cereal because babies can't digest it until a year.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM
After oatmeal i did fruits.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I think I started with fresh bananas then avocados & sweet potatoes

CB3arr
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Its important that gluten is introduced during the 4-6 month window.  Cereal seems to be the best way to do that.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

We do
Baby led weaning. We don't offer cereal because babies can't digest it until a year.

frillyflower
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Avocado. Extremely healthy, tasty, easy to mush.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)