Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Getting up at night again

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 10 Replies
At about 5 months my son started sleeping thru the night (8-6). Then at about 8 months he got sick and ever since then he wont sleep thru the night. He gets up around 1 or 2 and wants a bottle. He will drink 5oz. What can i do to get him sleep thru the night again? Im not sure if hes hungry or if its a habit.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

How old is he now?  I honestly wouldn't worry about it.  He may be hungry, there's nothing wrong with a baby needing nigtime meals.

Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Sleeping through the night for babies is only sleeping for 5 hours straight. He might need that night time feeding if he's burning more calories during the day.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM
If he's eating 5 oz, he's probably really hungry.

Is he trying to crawl? He may be needing extra calories to help him meet that milestone.

Is he starting solids? He may be eating too many solids and filling up on them and not getting enough calories with the formula. Stop all solids for a month or so. When you do start back up again, give him his bottle first and then give him solids afterwards.
hope2515
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM
he is 10 months old today.. during the last 2 months he has learned to crawl.. got 2 teeth and is pulling himself up so he has been going thru alot. We are trying to fed him more formula. One the days he will drink more it doesnt seem to make a difference.. thanks for all the info though
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Sounds like he is hungry. I wouldn't worry, he will start sleeping better soon.

NewInChrist
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM
He's just growing, learning and teething. It's normal for him to wake up hungry. :) my son will be 2 next month and still wakes up at least once a night wanting a cup of milk.

Quoting hope2515:

he is 10 months old today.. during the last 2 months he has learned to crawl.. got 2 teeth and is pulling himself up so he has been going thru alot. We are trying to fed him more formula. One the days he will drink more it doesnt seem to make a difference.. thanks for all the info though

preacherskid
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Some children also wake more when they are going through a growth spurt or learning a new developmental skill, mine do every single time.  I have learned to expect to need new clothes after a period of rough sleeping ;P

bubblemama2164
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

sounds like a habit now if he was sleeping thru the night til he got sick, you should start down sizing the bottle size or giving water in place it should help him start sleeping thru the night my brother and sister did it with their lo when that happened

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

FSUSeminoleGirl
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I thought you weren't supposed to give babies water until they were at least a year old?

And why would you give the baby less formula instead of as much as he's hungry for?

Quoting bubblemama2164:

sounds like a habit now if he was sleeping thru the night til he got sick, you should start down sizing the bottle size or giving water in place it should help him start sleeping thru the night my brother and sister did it with their lo when that happened

bubblemama2164
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

for the water  their pedi told them to do that but it was back in 2005-2006, and if they were doing it the whole time then yes they may need the feeding but they gave it up for a while which means they dont need the feeding

Quoting FSUSeminoleGirl:

I thought you weren't supposed to give babies water until they were at least a year old?

And why would you give the baby less formula instead of as much as he's hungry for?

Quoting bubblemama2164:

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN