Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting baby to sleep at night without nursing...

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

Any advise on how I can get my little guy to sleep at night and for naps without nursing him to sleep?  He is exclusively breastfed, he is 6 months old, and he is teething right now.  It is very hard to get him to go down without nursing him to sleep which I know is a bad habit.  He just cries if I put him in his crib and leave and eventually I give up, pick him up and nurse him until he falls asleep then put him in his crib.  Yikes, help this mama! 

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Bump. Unless you're weaning soon, I fail to see the problem. I nurse my 5.5 month old to sleep and did the same with my oldest until she was a year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I don't know why you wouldn't want to nurse him to sleep. I love nursing my LO to sleep. Unless you are planning on weaning at 6m I don't see the issue. It's totally normal and part of breast feeding. It's not a bad habit.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Nursing is a very normal way to put babies to sleep... It actually induces.sleep hormones. :)

You can get him to sleep other ways (rocking, singing, wearing, etc... ) but nursing is usually the easiest way, so why make more work for yourself?
bluelyn75
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Thanks ladies!  And I do love nursing my son and putting him to sleep, I just thought it might not be setting him up for good sleep habits. 

CB3arr
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD nurses to sleep about half the time.  She nurses on demand, so there's no set schedule.  So sometimes I'll nurse her about 30 min before her bed/nap time.  She'll be a relaxed mood and I can put her down in her crib.  Don't know if that helps or not, but thought you might like to know not everybody nurses their babies to sleep.  :-)

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
You're fine :) it's the perfect way to put baby to sleep IMO
Then they go to bed full and sleep longer :) And it's not the same as going to bed with the bottle of formula. It has to do them pulling the nipple to the back of their mouths and it goes right down their throat whereas formula sits on their teeth.

Quoting bluelyn75:

Thanks ladies!  And I do love nursing my son and putting him to sleep, I just thought it might not be setting him up for good sleep habits. 

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

They will eventually learn to fall asleep without nursing, but that will be after they no longer nurse.  I nurse my 6 month old to sleep, and I have all my kids.  All my older kids sleep just fine now.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I fail to see the problem. I nursed my first to sleep every night until we weaned. She is now 6. My son is 8 months and nurses to sleep. It's the most natural, calming, nurturing thing you can do. In no way is it bad.

Why do people think sticking a piece of plastic (pacifier) in a baby's mouth is OK but breastfeeding isn't??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)