Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gina Ford's Baby Routine- anyone done this?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 42 Replies

Has anyone followed Gina Folrd's baby routine from her book "the contented little baby book"? if so, what is ur feedback?

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm concerned about any book that talks about routines and babies. Creating a routine with a baby based on a book is frequently dangerous...especially for breastfeeding relationships. I also worry about any book that pushes the idea of infants sleeping through the night as this is NOT biologically normal.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't raise my children by a book and I have very content happy babies.

AliceNonsense
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM
How does her routine go? I have a "routine" for DS. He's not on a strict schedule, but he eats and sleeps after a certain amount of time. I've always followed his lead and went from there. He's happy, well rested, and sleeps through the night. The days that we go out and are gone for the majority of the day are real hard on him, it's because he's use to structure and routine. I do not follow any book, but routine is key IMO.
MichelleM14
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

what do you mean by "dangerous"?

My 9 week old has acid reflux and is overall a fussy baby. My husband and I are losing our minds with being up all night, needing to hold her all the time, never knowing what to anticipate with her pattern of activities...I am desperate to find a way to make both baby and parents calm and content.

You don't think a structured routine is the way to go?

Quoting IrishIz:

I'm concerned about any book that talks about routines and babies. Creating a routine with a baby based on a book is frequently dangerous...especially for breastfeeding relationships. I also worry about any book that pushes the idea of infants sleeping through the night as this is NOT biologically normal.

MichelleM14
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

what;s your secret?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Love them, feed them, take care of them. Am I supposed to have a secret?

Quoting MichelleM14:

what;s your secret?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Anytime there is a "schedule" and feeding is involved it increases the risk for improper feeding and if breastfeeding for milk supply issues.  Babies are meant to be fed at the breast on demand...scheduling the feeds in anyway can cause the supply to drop.  Also, babies are not intended to sleep through the night and pushing this increases the risk for SIDS.  

So your baby has reflux.  What as diagnosis made by?  Symptoms or testing?  How is baby fed breast or bottle and if bottle is it human milk or formula?  Let's work on seeing if we can help make the reflux less of an issue.  If you are breastfeeding...are you cosleeping, room sharing or is baby in another room?

Quoting MichelleM14:

what do you mean by "dangerous"?

My 9 week old has acid reflux and is overall a fussy baby. My husband and I are losing our minds with being up all night, needing to hold her all the time, never knowing what to anticipate with her pattern of activities...I am desperate to find a way to make both baby and parents calm and content.

You don't think a structured routine is the way to go?

Quoting IrishIz:

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Never heard of the routine, bump.
shoot4thestars
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Never heard of it, I just followed my son's signals.  At 5 months he had pretty much put himself on a set routine. I try not to let any interference with it, but sometimes there is.  The last few weeks have been rough because a lot has gone and his routine will ha v e to be altered slightly, but in a few weeks, I'm sure he'll find his balance. His teeth coming in one by one right after another is messing him up also.  With all this going on, I try and stick to his routine, but also am trying to figure out what he's going to change whether when he wants to eat, nap, play whatever with this new big change.  I've tried doing what books, the internet,other people have said, but nothing worked until I listened to my baby and did what he was comfortable with instead of what I was comfortable with and I wish I had done it a lot sooner.  I'm sure the first few weeks would have been a ton easier.

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No and I never would.  Failure to thrive often happens by following people's book routines.

I have happy babies, and they are happy because I hold them, love them and respond to their needs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)